General Heater problem

Currently reading:
General Heater problem

For the past week heater has been playing up. First it was nonexistent, then on constant full blast, then back to nothing.

Anybody any ideas???

I had a heater problem that was similar - all or nothing for a while, then just nothing... Above the place where the passenger's feet go is a brown plug (or socket, no remembero) which connects to the blower. A thick (brown?) wire going in there had overheated, partially melting the plastic, and oxidising the connector. An easy thing to check. Disconnect it and look at the contacts (or where the wire goes into the plug).

Christ its like spaghetti junction under there!! Had a look at all wires and none look like there the problem.
Query goes on

You need a new resistor pack goes in where the motor is
I had the same problem on mine blower ended up on constantly
You get them on eBay but take old one out first so you know which one you need as several different types

as a previous poster said, this is caused by bad electrical connections on
the resister plug on the heater assembly, the heat thus generated causing the insulation on the brown and other wires to burn through.
on 2007 on models, this is best accessed by removing the glove box lid.
and cutting a 3 inch square hole in the plastic at the back of the glove box.
cut this hole in the bottom left hand corner.
you will then have easy access to the plug.
i have repaired a number of scudos with this problem and it is always the bad contacts on the plug, not the resisters.
there are 2 ways to cure the problem
1. buy a new plug from ebay, just the plug, not the resister part, and reconnect
the wires from the old plug to the new one.
2 . do away with the need for a plug,(the best cure) and cut the wires off the plug
and solder the wires directly onto the contacts where the plug fits onto, making sure of course,
that you solder the right wire to the right tag.

You need a new resistor pack goes in where the motor is
I had the same problem on mine blower ended up on constantly
You get them on eBay but take old one out first so you know which one you need as several different types
Fitted new resistor today, cheap fix, a bit fiddly due to space, have had to do worse

This is similar to my problem as posted in new topic. With mine it appears to need new 'plug' but for life of me can't source!

Ok,I deserve to be shot here so feel free...whole heater control panel wasnt working, no blower and no backlights. Went as far as pulling the whole thing out to check connections. Then i see the instructions on here re the brown connector under/behind glovebox.
The brown connector which in my van is not even connected to anything...Fire away...problem is, there's so many wires under there and very little room that I can't even see where it's supposed to plug In and I really don't want to pull anything else out.
Update...found it, plugged in and still nothing.bugger!

Last edited:
I have the same symptoms on my 04, full power or not at all, goes on/off over bumps. I'm convinced my problem is up at the control panel end. If I push the slider knob for the fan speed 'into' the control panel the blower works, but as soon as I take the pressure off it stops. Any thoughts??

After a while it seems the 'spades' on new resistor are very slightly smaller than originals, to solve this I used spade connectors (clamped down very tight) and 3 small pieces of wire. Have had no problems since.

Back