Technical Heater fan not working after replacing the melted block connector

Currently reading:
Technical Heater fan not working after replacing the melted block connector

Kay91

Hi Guys,

Recently my heater blower broke down from my 2007 Fiat Grande Punto.
After inspecting, I saw that the cable of the block connector melted. I ordered a new connector, but upon arrival I saw that it had 5 cables instead of 4. I tried to connect it anyway by putting a connector between it (see the attached files), but (as expected) it still doesnt work. I wanted to order a 4 wire connector, but there isnt one.
Does somebody know how I can fix this probleem of has the same issue? My next step is to go to a garage, but then it will probably is gonna cost a lot.
Would really appreciate the help! :)

Attachments

• DSC_0023_4.JPG
    DSC_0023_4.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 367
  • DSC_0015.JPG
    DSC_0015.JPG
    1,004.1 KB · Views: 227
I would work through the excellent FAQs at the top of grande section..

Melting means something has drawn excessive current..

Personally..I would remove the fan itself.. and test it runs on a direct 12volt source..
Then check wiring backwards from the fan housing.

Do let us know what you find :)

First of all, thanks for your reply!

I already made my way through the heater faq, but the problem is (as i mentioned above) that I didnt see something that could solve it.
I understand that to find the problem, I first should check if the fan is working and therefore it is definetly something I will keep in mind.

However, as Im not an engineering guy at all I would prefer a less intrusive option to try first. Do you have other suggestions which i can try first?
Thanks in advance :)

Btw: the heater still produces some (very small amount) hot air coming out of the vents, even when de blower isnt working and its on 0 when I set the button to red (heating). Does this say anything or only that the heater is still working, but not the blower?

It seems that you messed up wires. Check the wire colors of the original ones. I did mine with the same five connectors and it worked with no problems. The other issue may be that the fan resistor has blown or its connectors have corroded.
Disconnect all wires except the red one then turn on the fan (pos 1). If the fan does not start running, try to just touch the red wire with a blue one to see if starts. If yes, both wires (red and blue) connect to that connector. Then connect the rest of the wires, one by one, and every time you connect the next wire, check if it is of proper fan speed position. Hope I have been of help.

It seems that you messed up wires. Check the wire colors of the original ones. I did mine with the same five connectors and it worked with no problems. The other issue may be that the fan resistor has blown or its connectors have corroded.
Disconnect all wires except the red one then turn on the fan (pos 1). If the fan does not start running, try to just touch the red wire with a blue one to see if starts. If yes, both wires (red and blue) connect to that connector. Then connect the rest of the wires, one by one, and every time you connect the next wire, check if it is of proper fan speed position. Hope I have been of help.
Thanks for the advice. I tried it, but unfortunately it didnt work. Put first the red one with the brown connector, no reaction. Put the red one together with the blue one with the brown connector, didnt work. Tried also other combinations, but same result.
Might also be the heater resistor so I think im gonna follow the advice of varsecrazy and test the current.

Thanks for your input guys. If you have any other tips, they would be very welcome. I will keep posting my progression (if i make any haha)

Compare burnt cable connector to the new connector, put them side by side and check the order and color of the wires. You should be able to find out the right order very easily. The fifth wire is probably unused if no fifth wire is connected to the old connector. (y)

You're only going to get burnt fuses with random connections. :rolleyes: Also burnt cables may be faulty too. Secondly you are going to need a new heater blower because it is very obvious reason for the excessive energy draw and failure of the resistor. (y)

Compare burnt cable connector to the new connector, put them side by side and check the order and color of the wires. You should be able to find out the right order very easily. The fifth wire is probably unused if no fifth wire is connected to the old connector. (y)

You're only going to get burnt fuses with random connections. :rolleyes: Also burnt cables may be faulty too. Secondly you are going to need a new heater blower because it is very obvious reason for the excessive energy draw and failure of the resistor. (y)
Thanks for your advice! I
combined the position the position of the new one with the older one (yellow to red, Green to blue, purple to green and brown to White). Unfortunately, still no response at all.
Also, the cable of the modified connector seems to be smaller than the old one (see attached files). Wouldnt that be a problem that it might be not strong enough to hold the current (excuse me for my use of layterms haha)?

Attachments

• DSC_0022.JPG
    DSC_0022.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 60
  • DSC_0018.JPG
    DSC_0018.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 61
  • DSC_0016.JPG
    DSC_0016.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 60
Then you have a faulty heater resistor and faulty heater blower. 💡 Maybe even a blown fuse.

Back