General Heater blower stuck on full!

Currently reading:
General Heater blower stuck on full!

Hi. ive just had to buy fan assembly which includes the infamous F.E.T. controller from german swedish ( french ) it was £158 plus vat speced for peugeot expert but fits ok and works . does anybody know if fault with fet was ever cured with a more robust part ??
also swan street salvage has common parts available , got my locks from them when mine started to spin
Thanks for the site good source of infomation
Jesterfish Scudo 1.9.owner

Did anyone check the heater motor brushes?

These are very common problems and wear down and the heater motor will only work intermittantly. It may seem as though it has a mind of its own. Sometimes it will work and sometimes it won't. Or, you may be driving along and it just springs into life.

New brushes are available on ebay for £12.50

I fitted these in my blower and its been working fine since.

Check out ebay item 190358493033 or search for Scudo brushes

The motor is controlled using a simple PWM controller circuit. Google '555 PWM' and you will find numerous circuits that are easily built and will replace the original circuit for a few £.

If there is sufficient interest I could knock out a few for interested people....?

Hi all. I have the very same problem. First the blower stuck on full, then it came on whenever it wanted to, now it wont work at all. I took the blower out and tested it, and it works fine. I put a multimeter on the slider panel and on all wiring in or around it, but there doesn't seem to be any juice getting to it or the blower motor. I've checked all wiring and fuses but so far the problem is still a mystery. Anyone got any suggestions? Thanks.

Hi all, I hav the same problem as richied. No power to the motor or slider control.

Can u confirm If I should b getting a reading with the ignition turned on, ie engine not running??
Also what to check next?

many thanks David

Hi everyone, new to the forum, but with what appears to be a common problem, heater not working, (my fault). I have a 98 right hand drive.

I replaced the control panel as a couple of the sliders had broken off. Couldnt see how to remove the multiplug so cut the wires with the intention of connecting to the multiplug on the replacement. However in doing so I allowed two of the wires to touch resulting in a spark and a brief roar from the heater motor, (yes I know I should have disconnected the battery). As a result the feed to the control panel and the thick red wire from the motor are now dead.
My first thought was a blown fuse. Am I right in thinking that the only fuse for the heater is in the under bonnet box? According to the sticker under the lid, the heater fuse is the chunky 30A one, (2nd from the left), but this is lighting up my test lamp ok, as are the other big fuses.
Can anyone suggest what I may have blown up? I have removed the dash panel so am in sight of the motor housing.

As regards the fuseboxes, does every van have a different one!!?? I have looked at the ones that have been posted on the forum and they differ from mine and mine differs from the one in my handbook. According to my book its the 3rd edition but the fusebox diagrams and lists dont match what I've got.

Apologies for waffling on in my first post but any advice would be greatly appreciated especially with winter coming.

Andy

Hi. I'm new to this forum. So hope I'm approaching this right!

I bought a 2002 Fiat Scudo. The last owner had wired in a seperate switch for the heater blower as the sliders broke. I was fine with that - until the blower stopped.
(Interestingly I just replaced a heater blower in my 06 Renault megane - so I know the about cleaning the bushes etc.) But I don't know what to check now since the rewiring. The last owner had inserted a wire in with the 30amp fuse, it had melted a bit but did not look blown. I replaced the fuse anyway, but still not work.
There is also an in-line 5amp fuse in place. Replaced that, but not working still.

What would anyone suggest I do here? Do I need to take the blower out and test it off a battery direct first to see if works of that, and then go from there?
After that i'm not great with electrics. So would be greatful for any help.
Thanks :) (I don't mind taking pics and uploading if that helps)

Back