General Heater blower stuck on full!

Currently reading:
General Heater blower stuck on full!

teo said:
hi all i have same problem,reason is short circuit in motor controller FET transistors,orginal was type:BUZ 102=50V/42A N-channel FET.I replace them
to type IFR1010=55V/75 A(price 2,58 €) See attached pic. and now works well.

Where did you buy this part from.

Regards
Dave

Hi,any electronic component shop have same or equal FET
regards,teo

I've recently bought a 2001 Scudo 1.9d, and just the other day the fan blower went straight to full speed without promting.

Sliding the speed switch makes no difference.

I've been trawling the net looking for hints, but there is not much there (or not much I've found).

Someone made reference to a diode packing up in the control unit, is this feasible?

Anyone any ideas?

Thanks
It sounds like the voltage regulator has packed up on the blower motor. I had a similar fault on my citroen zx , the blower stopped altogether. I bought a new regulator and fitted it myself. I had to buy a haynes manual to find where it was, but it saved me a hundred quid bill from main dealer. I hope this helps.

It sounds like the voltage regulator has packed up on the blower motor. I had a similar fault on my citroen zx , the blower stopped altogether. I bought a new regulator and fitted it myself. I had to buy a haynes manual to find where it was, but it saved me a hundred quid bill from main dealer. I hope this helps.

Where did you get your new regulator.

I have been doing some tests on mine today.

First test :- When pluging a voltmeter into the wiring loom.

I have 3 wires on my loom

1 Empty
2 Thick Green and Yellow wire
3 Thin Green wire
4 Thick Red wire

Voltage between 2 & 3 is 14.5v (Constat)

Voltage between 3 & 4.

Switch on low position 14.57
Switch on Max 9.96

Is this correct.

Second Test:- FET

Dcp_1878a.jpg

I first plugged the FET into the wiring loom.

Placing a voltage tester across the 2 wire connects on the FET

I got a 14.5 for the first few minutes then nothing.

Moving the switch from low to high did nothing.

Test 3:- Fan Motor.

Dcp_1879a.jpg

When playing 14.5 across the fan is spins up a treat.

So am i correct in thinking that my FET is at fault or are there other components to check.

Regards
Dave

Last edited:
I have diagnosed the fault to be on the FET too, but this seems like the transistor is not accessible...

dsc00660qe9.jpg

Tried to find parts from www.behrhellaservice.com but i couldn't find anything with the OE numbers on the blower motor or the controller unit..

There has got to be a cheaper fix than buying a complete motor/unit.

Can someone please advise as to a place where we can purchase a new FET

None of my local electronic component shops sell a replacement.

Regards
Dave

Last edited:
First test :- When pluging a voltmeter into the wiring loom.

I have 3 wires on my loom

1 Empty
2 Thick Green and Yellow wire
3 Thin Green wire
4 Thick Red wire

Voltage between 2 & 3 is 14.5v (Constat)

Voltage between 3 & 4.

Switch on low position 14.57
Switch on Max 9.96

My thin green & thick green gave me 4.57V when switch was on max, and 0 when on low position... WTF?

Changed the controller and still not working. The motor is ok, so is the speed slider and fuses. What the hell can it be?

Changed the controller and still not working. The motor is ok, so is the speed slider and fuses. What the hell can it be?

Well, the motor... I gave it 12V and it rotates, but just really slow. So can it be that the motor itself is worn out?

Which one are where is i located.

I still haven't got mine working yet..................:D

Dave

I had a LHD car and the relay was located somewhere near the steering column. Had to remove some of the dashboard to get there.

Quite a late post on the thread but i thought i would post in it instead of starting another, its actually a Peugeot expert i have the problem but as i'm sure you are all aware it the same.

Problem is the heater fan speed control, when on full it blows and when on the off position it blows slightly less. I'm less inclined to think its a short on the control module attached to the fan as i would have thought there would be no control over the fan speed at all. What can i test with the multimeter to reveal where the fault is?
thanks for any replies.
josh:bang:

Quite a late post on the thread but i thought i would post in it instead of starting another, its actually a Peugeot expert i have the problem but as i'm sure you are all aware it the same.

Problem is the heater fan speed control, when on full it blows and when on the off position it blows slightly less. I'm less inclined to think its a short on the control module attached to the fan as i would have thought there would be no control over the fan speed at all. What can i test with the multimeter to reveal where the fault is?
thanks for any replies.

I just fitted a new fan unit and all is now good. (y)

on another heater problem....well not such a great problem but curious. after sitting in traffic for a long time and watching the temp gauge creep up to over 90 the heating suddenly starts running colder. As soon as I'm on the move again and the temp drops down to early 80's, the heating starts to come through hot again. Any ideas anyone?

thanks for any replies.

Referring to the 4 pin connector mentioned in earlier posts:
pin 1 is empty
pin 2 has thick green/yellow wire (chassis earth)
pin 3 has thin green wire (control voltage from dashboard control)
pin 4 has thick red wire (+ve supply from fuse panel)

I would buzz pin 2 to chassis ground to make sure a sound earth was present, then put the common of a multimeter out of the way onto a bolt connected to the chassis. Check the voltage on pin 4 is about 14 volts (with the engine running), then check the voltage on pin 3 (which is the control voltage from the slider control) --- it should be 0v at the Min. position and around 4.5 volts at the Max. fan position. (Others have measured between pin 4 and pin 3 and seen 14v at Min. down to 9.5v Max. - same thing.)

It seems to me this is quite a common problem with these fans (Gggrr). After a few weeks of my fan (51 reg Scudo 1.9D) cutting out for a few seconds at random it finally stopped altogether. I have just been quoted £260 because "you need a new fan assembly sir". (and they charged me £60.00 to tell me that). :mad:

I took the fan out this evening ( having tested the voltages were normal as above) and found that the windings and brushes were fine - so it's probably the FET's gone open circuit - unfortunately they are all potted up with epoxy so the quest now it to see if I can source a new controller assembly as opposed to a new fan assembly. :idea:

For those of you reading this for up-to-date information...

Current UK price of a fan assembly is £229.30 + VAT.:mad:

After a sneaky look at the Fiat parts listing on-line I found that the UK price of the controller part is £129.37 + VAT. :cry:The Fiat part number for this (strangely called "form" on the parts breakdown) is 9790339580.

My result was from a breakers yard, (02 Reg. Scudo fan) cost £25.00. Job done, not freezing anymore...(y)

Back