Technical Heated mirrors/retro fit?

Currently reading:
Technical Heated mirrors/retro fit?

I just went out and checked and I have three a side. Not sure where that leaves me!

Agree, I have it on my Tiguan and didn’t realise how much I used it until I picked up this 500.
No power for the heaters. You would need at leat 1 and probably 3 more wires.

The wiring diagram shows a simple tap off the rear screen cable via a 5a fuse, if it was me I'd find the easiest point to tap in say the rear trim panel or even where it runs along the sills, won't be hard to see due to its thickness ?
Its a pity they didn't use a single loom like my Mazda all the plugs are there even if not used

Where can I find the wiring diagram?

It only takes five minutes to take the mirror off the door to check.

Just prise off the lower mirror trim panel, unscrew one allen head bolt, there's no need to even open the door.

Only took me about 10 seconds a side. Take a flathead or plastic trim removal tool to the bottom panel of the mirror. Pops right off and you don’t need to fool around with the mirror. I followed this video:

Last edited:
Well, just been out there....

MirrorSide.jpg

Thats the mirror side of the plug....

CarSide.jpg

and that's the car side...
So I must have them already :cool:

I'll now have to actually check in the morning. :D

Looks like you have a Lounge, based on your profile. Don’t all Lounge models have heated wing mirrors?
I don't know, I've not had it long enough to know all the ins & outs of it, but certainly looks like it.

Interesting so check fuse 49 present, then see if you get switched 12v on the brown wire black stripe( heating wire ) when the rear screen turned on?
Well I'll see, if its cold enough in the morning I just need to touch it, when turned on I should be able to feel it shouldn't I?

I don't know, I've not had it long enough to know all the ins & outs of it, but certainly looks like it.

Well I'll see, if its cold enough in the morning I just need to touch it, when turned on I should be able to feel it shouldn't I?
Yes they get quite warm when on,

My guc has heated mirrors just replaced the glass in my passenger side … although I have to say some of these aftermarket mirrors don’t fit very well … my glass sits too high … need to see if I can re position the clip at the rear!

Wonder if it’s worth testing if the wires for the heated mirrors are present at the door harness connection.

If so it would be relatively easy to connect the necessary wires without having to do any internal routing.

Yes, sorry, I may not be using the correct terms.

The door loom will plug into another loom just inside the footwell. I'm wondering if the wiring is present in that footwell loom for the heating control.

Or is that what you meant? 😅

I've taken the plunge, ordered both sides heated glass, partly as I'm not sure if I'll be able to afford it later in the year, will have to run both feed and earth to the mirror assembly but its a warm weather project.
Question is do I have a fuse in position in 49, if not is there a switched feed to this position, time will tell as putting a fuse tap in place there would make it easier to wire, but I could also do the same from the screen fuse under the bonnet ?

Last edited:
Back