General Heat issue

Currently reading:
General Heat issue

philnewby

Banned
Getting heat after riding 7-8 miles, is this normal or should i do something for it?

We're going to need a bit more than this.

Is the perceived problem that is takes too long to get hot, or it gets hot too soon, or too hot?
Are we talking engine temperature, or heater output?

What engine? Petrol or diesel, and engine size.

Engine: A petrol engine will warm up faster than a diesel due to less metal to heat up, and hotter burning fuel. 7-8 miles to get to normal temp is too long for a petrol, even in winter, too long for a diesel in summer, but maybe about right on a freezing morning.
If it is taking too long to heat up, possible causes could be a stuck or lazy thermostat.
If it is overheating after this time, possible causes could be again, a stuck thermostat, air in the cooling system, a blocked radiator, a cooling fan not operating, head gasket failure, insufficient oil, a water pump with a loose impeller. There may be more, but more detail will help diagnose.

Heater: If the complaint is that the heater takes too long to warm up, this could relate to air in the system, preventing the coolant from circulating properly, blockages in the heater coolant circuit, or issues with the internal flaps inside the heater unit.
If the heater is delivering too much heat, despite setting to cooler, the internal flaps are the main suspect.

The above are generalisations, and serve to show why we need more detail, and hopefully help you understand what we need to help.

2 miles of stop start is equivalent to 5 of 50mph A road also ;-)

Ive been pleasantly surprised by my petrols showing 1/4 warm after 1 mile.. the diesels take 3 times that :-(

If I stop at temporary lights in that 1st mile.. the petrols show 'fully warm' (y)

Getting heat after riding 7-8 miles, is this normal or should i do something for it?
I'm guessing you have a diesel and not a petrol. If I am right then my diesel Qubo does take a long while which is a pain in the butt in the winter.

Back