Technical Headlamp whinning

Currently reading:
Technical Headlamp whinning

NebulaStilo

Good day all.

So i noticed my headlamp on ONE SIDE ONLY is making a whinning noise. I have LED in on normal low beams. Never had it before. Only noticed now. I tried moving angle on the controls in the car but no change. When i put the low beams off then it goes off.

What do I do?
I have a 1.6 fiat stilo 3 door.

Thanks guys

If it's the left side headlamp looking from the front of the car it might be the motor that adjusts the headlamps up/down. Do yours move using the controls inside the car ?

Its coming from the headlamp on the battery side. If you looking at the front of the car,it's on your right.

If it's the left side headlamp looking from the front of the car it might be the motor that adjusts the headlamps up/down. Do yours move using the controls inside the car ?

Yes it does adjust from inside the car and there's a small stick knob on the headlamp itself which i don't know what it does. ?

Bear in mind I changed my low beams to LED. The bulb as you can see in the pic has like a 'thing's at the back of the bulb thus not allowing the back cover of the headlamp cluster to go on because it sticks out.
And the clip that holds the bulb in place doesn't go over the LED so I had to silicone it in place ?. It holds and still holding.even after the LED change the lights didnt make a noise and they adjusted when pressed inside. My understanding its the lens not the bulb that moves.
I'm guessing its I worn motor. It still moves even though it whinning. Fiat charges arm and a leg for a new cluster?

Attachments

• tmp-cam-5998743706893250419.jpg
    tmp-cam-5998743706893250419.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 23
Yes it does adjust from inside the car and there's a small stick knob on the headlamp itself which i don't know what it does. ?

Bear in mind I changed my low beams to LED. The bulb as you can see in the pic has like a 'thing's at the back of the bulb thus not allowing the back cover of the headlamp cluster to go on because it sticks out.
And the clip that holds the bulb in place doesn't go over the LED so I had to silicone it in place ?. It holds and still holding.even after the LED change the lights didnt make a noise and they adjusted when pressed inside. My understanding its the lens not the bulb that moves.
I'm guessing its I worn motor. It still moves even though it whinning. Fiat charges arm and a leg for a new cluster?

Not sure that any possible benefit of using LED bulbs outweighs having them 'stuck' in place with no back cover plate on the light :confused:

The bulbs is a red herring... It's the adjuster motor.

The motors are supposed to push or pull the top of the reflector when you adjust the headlamp height using the interior buttons (next to the Menu button) to move the beam up or down to compensate for weight in the back of the car. The function only becomes "live" when the dipped beams come on (not sidelights).

The motors are relatively cheap and not toooooo fiddly to change but my suggestion is to do it with the headlamps off the car (so bumper off job).

There's a thread here:
https://www.fiatforum.com/stilo/478486-what-whirring-sound-when-lights.html

Ralf S.

Last edited:
Back