Technical Head Gasket Failure?

Currently reading:
Technical Head Gasket Failure?

confuseddotcom

I have a 1.4 W reg Bravo. Mileage is 91k. The heater stopped working in my car and a mechanic looked at it for me. He said i had no coolant in the engine :eek: lol so me being a woman thought that was it...problem solved!

He told me it doesn't work like that and that the coolant has to be going somewhere. He topped it up full and it drained within 1 minute. He topped it up again and said a few air bubbles will appear but if it's the head gasket they will continue. They was going on for at least 5 mins. He revved the engine and there was a lot more bubbles. He quoted me 400-450 for new head gasket but advised that he thinks i should sell it due to the car not being worth much more than that.

Could this be anything else? I've had another quote at another garage and they said 425 but said if anything else needs fixing while the engine has been dismantled then it would be even more.

Also my car has always struggled to start, never starts first time unless i rev the engine. But now it's getting worse and i was sat at work 5 mins last week trying to start it up.

Any suggestions, been looking at a new car anyway so shall i just get rid?

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum.
This section is the Bravo 2007+ section but someone will move your post to the Classic Bravo section soon.

Are you sure it's a 1.4 12v on a W reg? Perhaps its a 1.2 16v 1242cc?

If it is a 1.4 12v I would think about changing the car, the engine is well known as the worst engine Fiat ever made. Changing the head gasket might also solve your starting problem but if it does not then you will need to spend even more money.

The 1.2s have a higher second hand value and if you need a second hand engine they are easier to find.

You say that the 1.4 engine is the worst in Fiat history - is this the same engine in the current 1.4 Bravo's ?

Back