General Head bolt tightness

Currently reading:
General Head bolt tightness

What about the stage 2 torque? Ive been following the haynes manual instructions which outlines a 4 stage procedure. At the moment, ive done the first 3 stages ( up to the first 90 degrees on all of the bolts) and all but the final two have been turned the last 90.

you think its best to take all of the bolts back to stage 2 torque, run it, turn 90, run it again and turn 90 again?

yes, in that situation i would turn all bolts back to stage 2, and use the run in method to ensure the final 2 stages are done correctly. (y)

dave said:
where is the thats total bolloks smilie?
4 years as a mechanic and you still doubt every word i say.
you'll be telling Ron Jeremy how to lick minge next :p

Thanks for all the advice. If i take all of the bolts back to stage 1 and start again, will it still seal properly? Im now woried that i may have over compressed the head gasket.

Just out of interest.....what wouldve happened if i tried to run the car for the first time with the bolts at stage 4 torque? I have real fear of headbolts snapping or some other damage caused as the head heats up and expands.

Oh, and after looking at the price of cam locking tools today, im really wishing i had brought a 1.4 or 1.8 now. Parts seem to be so much cheaper for them. 1.4 head gasket set £30 : 1.6 head gasket set £75!
cam locking tool for 1.8 £40 : cam locking tool for 1.6 only came as a set and costs £130.

Last edited:
If i take all of the bolts back to stage 1 and start again, will it still seal properly? Im now woried that i may have over compressed the head gasket.

it will be ok to take the bolts back to stage 1 and start again using the same gasket, as long as the engine has not been run for too long.

Back