Have you ever been in a plane crash?

Currently reading:
Have you ever been in a plane crash?

Only plane I have ever been up in was my Dad's 4 seater piper Cherokee..basically he had the very first range rover in Cardiff and it developed a steering fault [needed muscles like Garth to hold it steady at 50mph] I ended taking it up to solihull and back to rover while he flew up and landed at the airstrip at the rear [Birmingham airport] no commercial flight at the time flew from Cardiff to brum..after six months they told us we could pick it up as it was sorted..so we took off from cardiff wales airport and when we were skywards I felt a draft coming from my door :chin:

Dad there is a wind coming in from the door..shouldn't be he said as its a sealed cabin .. "Did you close the door properly" evidently not :eek: DONT PANIC DONT PANIC..like feck and started to climb on his lap ..get off me you silly git came a reply [not actual words cos they was rude..:eek: he then started to bank the plane while trying to slam the door ..funny I tell you not.. ended up shouting Mayday mayday etc etc and we went back and he shut the door this time and promptly took off ..never been on a plane since and you wont get me on one ever after that..no way Pedro..flying is for the birds (n)

Last edited:
Only plane I have ever been up in was my Dad's 4 seater piper Cherokee..basically he had the very first range rover in Cardiff and it developed a steering fault [needed muscles like Garth to hold it steady at 50mph] I ended taking it up to soulful and back to rover while he flew up and landed at the airstrip at the rear [Birmingham airport] no commercial flight at the time flew from Cardiff to brum..after six months they told us we could pick it up as it was sorted..so we took off from cardiff wales airport and when we were skywards I felt a draft coming from my door :chin:

Dad there is a wind coming in from the door..shouldn't be he said as its a sealed cabin .. "Did you close the door properly" evidently not :eek: DONT PANIC DONT PANIC..like feck and started to climb on his lap ..get off me you silly git came a reply [not actual words cos they was rude..:eek: he then started to bank the plane while trying to slam the door ..funny I tell you not.. ended up shouting Mayday mayday etc etc and we went back and he shut the door this time and promptly took off ..never been on a plane since and you wont get me on one ever after that..no way Pedro..flying is for the birds (n)

Helicopters are the best / worst... just shouldnt fly!

Helicopters are the best / worst... just shouldnt fly!

Light aircraft was bad enough thankyou on landing you came in over the cliffs a roose..:eek: sweat ran out of me swear I lost two stone that day..:D

We had a very dramatic flame trail on the Boeing 737 we were heading out of Bristol on for a week away.... 20 - 30 feet long and constant! :eek:

Plane turned around but had to go to B'ham, saw the blue flashing Crash Team lights on the ground below... quite un-nerving. Touched down ok. After a few hours we had to climb back on the same plane which took off and flew very nicely all the way! (y)

Astoundingly thats quite possibly something as simple as the fuel control going awry, or a slight error in a control surface (Id think ~1 degree VIGV errorwith bleeds shut). Typically leads to TGT runaway, surge and titanium fire as a result (thats the thing causing the 20ft flame). Luckily the control systems can react to that quicker than you can say 'Oh S..' and will react to shut the engine down.

The reg's state that a dual engined plane must have adequate thrust to work on one engine - theyre actually tighter than for a 4 engined thing!

That B52 crash is astounding! To find it stalling under those circumstances Im not surprised!

Back