General Have You done a Punto GT brake Upgrade?

Currently reading:
General Have You done a Punto GT brake Upgrade?

there is a comprehensive list on Clubcento forum members section, if you have access.

With regard to the Alfa 155 calipers, they use the same discs as the Bravo/a options above and the Punto GT. Not too sure about the others. off the top of my head.

As it's been established that the latter Punto GT callipers are better does that list include callipers found on the early Punto GTs as well or just the latter?

As it's been established that the latter Punto GT callipers are better does that list include callipers found on the early Punto GTs as well or just the latter?

Both types fit and in my experience I found no difference between them. :)

Marea 1.6 auto saloon (not manual)
Marea 1.6 estate
Marea 1.8, 1.9TD 100 & TD110 (not 2.4)
Tempra 2.0 petrol & TD
Bravo/a 1.2,1.4,1.6,1.8, 1.9TD 100
Tipo 2.0 8 valve
Punto GT
Alfa 155 1.8 8v or 1.8 16v (not 2L)

Both will fit. From memory the best ones to go for are the ATE calipers -- they can be identified by the spring (the other ones have none). If you do a search for brakes it'll be in one of Aaron's posts (J333EVO).

If the weather doesn't defeat me again I'll pop a front wheel off Blue and see if I can find the manufacturer's part no. (and name) tomorrow.

Last edited:
If I went for larger but non vented wouldn't I have troubles fitting them under 14 inch wheels? Guessing vented would be way to go anyway?

Vented will give good pedal for longer if you thrash them. And my guess is you'll pay the same for the calipers anyway. Non vented should fit fine, though (and less unsprung weight). ;)

One thing I am planning on doing soon is this brake upgrade, and I know I will then have to fit 14" wheels (got them in my garage, just need a refurb and tyres... and spacers.....and stud conversion ££££££) but something i need to ask the people that have done it. What spare wheel do you carry?
Do you carry a spare?
Is it a Punto steelie?
Is it another 14" alloy (i only have 4 alloys)
Or do you run with a can of arsehole err, sorry aerosol puncture repair?
Or just a mobile phone?

Nero has a fifth Speedline with a spanking new Pirelli lurking in the boot.

One thing I am planning on doing soon is this brake upgrade, and I know I will then have to fit 14" wheels (got them in my garage, just need a refurb and tyres... and spacers.....and stud conversion ££££££) but something i need to ask the people that have done it. What spare wheel do you carry?
Do you carry a spare?
Is it a Punto steelie?
Is it another 14" alloy (i only have 4 alloys)
Or do you run with a can of arsehole err, sorry aerosol puncture repair?
Or just a mobile phone?

I still have stock 13" and carry the spare, but I am thinking of ditching it, and carrying around just the pump and a sealant kit.

The extra space and less weight are both pros. And if worst comes to worst, thats what brake down cover is for. There seem to be more modern cars omitting the spare, so I think I will follow suit. Plus if its not there, theres one less thing to think about come MOT time. Stupid, but if you have a bad spare you fail, no spare and your fine :confused: lol

I did 1300m on a holiday recently and although I had a pump and spare, I forgot the jack lol, so would have been stuck anyways :D
Kristian

So, does a Punto spacesaver fit over the GT brakes? Is there two sizes of Punto spare wheel? As some Puntos run 13's some 14's

I had a look at this and I rekoned that I could use the space saver providing I left the 20mm wheel spacers in place. I now also have to carry 4 open ended nuts as the closed end ones I use on the alloys don't tighten up enough to hold the space saver secure.

even so I wouldn't want to drive very far on it though and if I was a long way from home would use the mobile

I thought space savers should only really go on the rear? I do that anyway, just cause it seems the safer thing to do. Is that an urban myth?

Kristian

I only ask as you don't have 20's on the rear do you?

Probably safest if you could be bothered to swap the wheels about

No only 12mm on the back but there again no big GT brakes on the rear to worry about

Back