General Happy Panda Owner

Currently reading:
General Happy Panda Owner

She only done just over 70000 miles ive had her 2yrs in July .

Still a youngster then :).

The 1.2 is a tough old bird. Provided you change the oil regularly, and never run low on coolant, the core engine & transmission is easily good for 200k.

Just keep an eye out for corrosion. Pay particular attention to the sump, and the rear beam around the spring pans.

All the other common wear items are generally cheap and straightforward to fix.

Last edited:
Still a youngster then :).

The 1.2 is a tough old bird. Provided you change the oil regularly, and never run low on coolant, the core engine & transmission is easily good for 200k.

Just keep an eye out for corrosion. Pay particular attention to the sump, and the rear beam around the spring pans.

All the other common wear items are generally cheap and straightforward to fix.

Thanks for that info:)

If the clutch mis-behaves - bleed the hydraulics. If it improves and falls off again the fix is to change the hydraulic system. Its not repairable and both ends will be worn so change the lot. If the clutch fails soon after no problem, because they all generally need doing at the same time.

If the clutch mis-behaves - bleed the hydraulics. If it improves and falls off again the fix is to change the hydraulic system. Its not repairable and both ends will be worn so change the lot. If the clutch fails soon after no problem, because they all generally need doing at the same time.

Thanks again:)

The garage i take it to now `Nick Dove` in Mansfield is a great chap .

He told me to search my paper work for the belts history and i cant find any so im gonna book her in soon and have the belts changed .

i am thinking that in 3/4 years we wont need 2 cars so if i look after her she should last me and probably wont have clocked 100k miles:)

I am thinking that in 3/4 years we wont need 2 cars so if i look after her she should last me and probably wont have clocked 100k miles:)

We used t have a Renault Espace and my big motorbike. Then we swapped the bus for a Panda and a year later I swapped the bike for a Panda. It's so much more convenient having two small cars than one large one. And -

Pandas - they just get under your skin. :)

By the way the 1.1 and 1.2 are "safe" when the cam belt fails. The car will stop of course (in a potentially dangerous place), but there will be no engine damage.

Pandas - they just get under your skin. :)

By the way the 1.1 and 1.2 are "safe" when the cam belt fails. The car will stop of course (in a potentially dangerous place), but there will be no engine damage.

Oh yes, and under your finger nails (mine are seldom clean!)

Don't want to sound too much of a "smarty pants" Dave but I think the 1.2 became an interference engine around 2011 when the VVT cam pulley was introduced and the power went up from 60 hp to a staggering 69 hp. Anyone able to substantiate or advise differently? I've never been all that sure when they went interference but I know the later 1.2 definitely is. All academic for this chap's older car however.

Oh yes, and under your finger nails (mine are seldom clean!)

Don't want to sound too much of a "smarty pants" Dave but I think the 1.2 became an interference engine around 2011 when the VVT cam pulley was introduced and the power went up from 60 hp to a staggering 69 hp. Anyone able to substantiate or advise differently? I've never been all that sure when they went interference but I know the later 1.2 definitely is. All academic for this chap's older car however.

I always forget about the "high power" version with its over geared 5th

I always forget about the "high power" version with its over geared 5th

The 69HP Euro5 engine was fitted to the Panda from late summer 2010; the easiest identifying feature is the sensor and wiring for the VVT in the cam cover. Previous versions are believed to be cambelt safe, but the Euro5 engine is not.

Despite the headline power rise to 69HP, the later engine actually produces less power below 3500rpm.

The 69HP Euro5 engine was fitted to the Panda from late summer 2010; the easiest identifying feature is the sensor and wiring for the VVT in the cam cover. Previous versions are believed to be cambelt safe, but the Euro5 engine is not.

Despite the headline power rise to 69HP, the later engine actually produces less power below 3500rpm.
Thanks for that jrk. I had intended to very slowly rotate Becky's crank when I had the belt off a couple of years ago for changing just to see if anything made contact. I simply forgot to do it in all the excitement of the other "experiment" (I was interested to see if you could use the "tippex" method).

I'm actually glad now that I didn't do it as I think even quite a gentle "kiss" between the piston and valve could perhaps bend the valve slightly or even do slight damage to a guide? Hopefully as I renew the belts on both our Fiats every 4 years (low annual mileage cars) I will never need to know?

Hopefully as I renew the belts on both our Fiats every 4 years (low annual mileage cars) I will never need to know?

You'll never need to know ;).

Like you, I've always changed the belt on interference engines at 4yrs/40k. Overkill, but if you're doing it yorself, cheap insurance. The economics are different if you're paying £250+ for this; on the 1.2 at least, I'd not be desperately uncomfortable until 6yrs/72k.

I'm not suggesting neglecting cambelt replacement, but interestingly we almost never get posts from folks who've had one break (though we've had several from folks who've had the camchain let go on diesels). Posts from folks who've had problems following belt replacement outnumber those who've had one break by at least ten to one. For the later engines, which have no timing marks, using the correct locking tools is strongly recommended.

Last edited:
I was thinking about trading her in but i think i run her for another year
She sounds like a good'un Antonio:)

Also sounds like you're looking after her properly, in which case she should look after you for a long time yet! 100K miles is nothing to a Panda:)

We also only thought of keeping ours for a couple of years. Coming up to 1 1/2 years now, I really can't think of anything I'd rather have, so looks like we'll be keeping ours too. Top car(y)

Back