Technical Handling issues: Suspension or?

Currently reading:
Technical Handling issues: Suspension or?

Dermot

Yes I am one of the posters that mainly appears only when I have a problem! But I do appreciate the help.

We have a 2006 Eleganza 120 mutijet with 159,000mls. Handling deteriorated recently so with some wear on lower ball joints, I replaced both front wishbones at the same time (TRW). Track rod ends seemed fine with no play in steering rack either. Anti-roll bar bushes and tie-rods pretty good (some knocking starting but these don't affect handling). Anyway the handling is worse if anything- like really worn wishbones. In particular lifting off the accelerator or re-accelerating in a right hand turn causes serious direction change. It's not quite as bad on left hand turns. It's not normal torque steer. Incidentally, the rear trailing arms were both replaced about 30,000 miles back. Everything else looks ok underneath, but obviously something is wrong. Anyone got any ideas?

Just one final thought, there is a smell of hot transmission oil once the car heats up - there is a slight leak of transmission oil which I thought may have been the source of the odour. Just wondering could there be a developing problem with the diff causing a bit of torque steer? There is no noticeable transmission drag otherwise. A long shot I know, but cannot find anything else. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance for any response.

OK, i tried the good advice re engaging the drive aginst the handbrake and curiously, no great movement of the wheel within the wheelarch. Oquite perplexed now as the handling issue as described above is quite noticeable. Any other ideas? While the new lower wishbones look fine, are TRW a decent brand? Could they simply be mismatched some way - pliable bushes in one and not in the other?

TRW are a reputable make. Several of the bits originally fitted to the Multipla are likely made by them (the steering rack, for instance).

Are the strut top mounts in good condition? You mention a knocking in your first post but put that down to the ARB bushes - are you sure they're the culprit? Did you have the wheel alignment set up after the wishbones were replaced?

I asked local helpful mechanic to have a look starting with tracking, camber etc. In short time, he had it sorted. I had not tracked it following wishbone replacement as I was waiting until i got new tyres - not very wise. The tracking was a mile out! He also found that one of the lower ball joints stems which inserts in the wheel hub was fitted incorrectly even though I thought this wasn't possible if the bolt went through, but he was right. While this would have had minimal effect on the geometry, coupled with the tracking, there was a big impact on the handling!
Anti-roll bar bushes do still need to be done though! But at least the handling is sorted. Thanks everyone for the help.:):)

Back