General Handbrake

Currently reading:
General Handbrake

DARTH PUNTO

Hey

Any1 having any problems with the handbrake.....mine is a bit weak. I had to pull it on quite high last night and it still didnt hold (rolled back very slowly). Its been a bit like that since A.C. mucked up my brake fluid change. Gonna take it to garage tomorrow as its gettin a bit annoying having to hold the handbrake on. Dont want to snap the cable either!

Any thoughts in the meantime?

You may have got it fixed by now but maybe stretched cable, partially seized caliper (if it has rear discs) or adjustment of the shoes if the car has rear drums.

Thanks Ffoxy. Not got it looked at yet as the garage screwed me around a bit. Its not been too bad lately as long as it reaches 5 clicks. Will get someone to have a look at it.....I think it probably does just need the shoes adjusted.

Will let you know if its anything random.

Cheers

Darth

Your not the only one with this issue. Once serviced the handbrake works great for a day or two and then its back to square one. I have a fairly steep drive and it takes about 3-4 more clicks than it should to hold.

Yeah I totally agree with you colin, but mine isn't holding....I can pull it on as tight as possible and the car can still move. Last night I was on a steep road and put on handbrake at junction....a van came up beside me and the vibration from the van caused the car to move back (could hear the rear brake creaking...if you know what I mean...like the brake was slipping).

I think the shoe at drivers side is covered in brake fluid since my unfortunate incident with A. Clark. Wont know for sure until I can get a garage to take my car at a weekend!!!!!:bang:

Will hopefully get it seen to soon.

Havnt had any problems with mine, it holds well. I mostly put my foot on the foot brake, hold the button in and pull the hand brake up till it stops to prevent it stretching. Though I have noticed more recently that it is starting to touch the bottom of the arm rest.

Handbrake is supposed to be self adjusted so getting loose must indicate a problem, garage should give a solution

Yeah it is rear drums....had a fluid leak a while back so I suspect that the mechanics did not clean the drum.....booked into garage on friday so will know for sure soon.

Cheers

Darth

Back