Technical Handbrake cable snapped??

Currently reading:
Technical Handbrake cable snapped??

tonyprice1877

Hi All,

I pulled up at the shops earlier pulled on the handbrake and it was very lose and could pull up to approx verticle. The handbrake on my punto has always been rubbish (it always needs adjusting every MOT as the handbrake does not hold the car on the smallest of hills) so I assume that the cables may now be old and have snapped.

As I do not really know what I am doing would one of the two cables snapping mean the handbrake does not work at all? I just read a thread that mentioned a third cable at the front of the handbrake. Could it just be that this has snapped?

Can people recommend where to start on diagnosing the problem? If it is the cables how much am I looking to get a repair? I fear its fairly pricey??

Cheers,

Tony

One of your cables has snapped. When this happens, the handbrake lever goes nearly vertically.
Fairly easy to fix if you are a bit handy. Cable itself <£20.

Fair chance that the other cable is on its way out too. But you don't have to replace in pairs (contrary to the advice you often receive - I replaced one about 3 years ago)

Rust eventually does for them.

The handbrake on my punto has always been rubbish (it always needs adjusting every MOT as the handbrake does not hold the car on the smallest of hills)

btw, the h/b on the punto is fine. If it doesn't hold on the smallest of hills, you have a problem that you need to fix.

All the handbrake does is pull the rear brake shoes against the drums. One cable for each side. Couldn't be much simpler in design. If it's not holding, sounds like you need to tighten the adjuster up so it takes something like 3-6 clicks to engage properly.

btw, the h/b on the punto is fine. If it doesn't hold on the smallest of hills, you have a problem that you need to fix.

All the handbrake does is pull the rear brake shoes against the drums. One cable for each side. Couldn't be much simpler in design. If it's not holding, sounds like you need to tighten the adjuster up so it takes something like 3-6 clicks to engage properly.
Done one of my cables about 2 months back,easy enough to replace but as atom said the rear drum adjuster is problem.Mine were seized and had to take them both off,clean with wd40 then replace and adjust up,easy enough if you take your time,and really noticed the differance when applying h/brake (y)

All cars either have a half moon or a pivot bar handbrake puller

IE
If 1 side is slack, that side is able to be pulled up more to allow a decent handbrake

If 1 snaps, it takes more effort to pull the handbrake on hard as the adjuster pivots uncontrollably

Cable can fray - and will require replacing

IF you handbrake gets weak
could be the adjusters stick - common as mine is always full of brake dust

Clean with Brake cleaner - NEVER wd40
Ensure the friction spots are clean and brake paste / copper slip to allow smooth movement

IF the drum is hard to get off - check the ID - could be the drum is past it

ziggy

Hi All,

Thank you for the quick replies. I removed the rear ash tray earlier and indeed it seems that the driver side cable has snapped.

I don't mind messing with the car when it comes to things under the bonnet as if I do something wrong the car simply stops going forwards but I am worried about messing with the brakes obviously as it will not stop going forward if I do something wrong.

Could it be a case where the cables are old so constantly adjusting the handbrake has stretch them causing them to snap? Could changing the cables mean the need for adjustments could be saved?

Are there any good guides on how to do this work? What is a fair price to pay at a garage?

Cheers,

Tony

Could it be a case where the cables are old so constantly adjusting the handbrake has stretch them causing them to snap? Could changing the cables mean the need for adjustments could be saved?

No. They snap due to corrosion primarily, perhaps also fatigue.
But no one has posted any actual evidence of a stretched cable.
In fact, I was so bored one time I did the calculations on this in a previous post.

If it works first time, it should always work after repair. You'll know it's not working when you pull up the lever, and it hits the roof. At that point, I don't think you'll be happy to get out the car.

Besides, just think, before it snapped, your driver's side was probably about a hair width. And you didn't worry about leaving that. Knowledge is fear.

Back