General h.i.d headlight problems and a new photo

Currently reading:
General h.i.d headlight problems and a new photo

puntodean

got ahid kit for my car and its worked fine since ive had it, now about a month ago when i put my high beam on my headlights would go off, but if i flash and hold it headlights and high beam are on together just fine, then about a week ago if i hit a bump or every now and then my passanger side hid goes off, but if i turn my lights off then back on it comes back on fine ? ............. any ideas ?

and heres a recent photo of it, got some more springs for the front to drop it tho :)

416784_10150569191517654_579737653_8901241_752099138_n.jpg

Was it a cheap £40 eBay kit?

Take the kit out check all connections, see of you get the same problems with standard bulbs in, make sure you have a good charged battery. The car wasn't designed for it so it's hard to say what's going on, after a month they could be causing damage to the car with huge back emf on power off.

Why does you bonnet not seem to fit properly?

bonnet lifters are on it, they was already on when i got the car so just left it as it is, and batterys fine but not too sure about electrics and taking the kit off as i never fitted them, the kit was about £95ish from a car show last year as i was with my mate when he bought them for this car, but hes not too sure what it could be either

Do you know the specifications of the kit? Wattage etc do they cover main and dipped beam with the hid bulb, sorry not had a mk1 for years can't remember what the standard headlight bulb is.

Even at £95 it doesn't mean that it's not the same as some of the very cheap kits off eBay.
HID lights aren't technically legal when fitted to your car and will soon become a potential MOT failure so refitting some good quality updated standard bulbs might be your best bet and avoid damaging your car (burning it to a crisp) as I said the cars wiring was designed for a standard bulb

HID headlights can cause dazzle if they are dirty or aimed too high so car manufacturers must fit headlamp cleaning and levelling systems. Where HID or LED dipped beam headlamps are fitted the tester will switch on the headlamps and check the operation of any headlamp levelling and cleaning devices fitted.

The car will fail if a headlamp levelling or cleaning device is inoperative or otherwise obviously defective.

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/car-servicing-repair/mot-changes-2012.html

I would just change to good qualaty xenon bulbs thats what i did and never looked back on the decision (y)

took it to a friend and hes told me i need a new ballast, there about £15 so was just considering getting a cheap £40 5000k kit off ebay, anyone had one of these before or what should i do ?

Back