General gurgling noises

Currently reading:
General gurgling noises

cinqxpress

I wonder if anyone could help me...

My 93 cinq is making odd gurgling/bubbling noises which are coming from the radiator cap/tank. Its the first time ive heard it today when l got out the car after a journey.

ive noticed the radiator fan isnt cutting in or out anymore. - The car has not overheated yet because ive not been in a traffic jam long enough and the moment l start moving the temp needle goes back down to normal.

The heater in the car is barely blowing out heat anymore - if you turn it on the low setting you get heat but put it on full whack and it blows out cold air!.

Could it be the thermostat? and has anyone else encountered the same problems?. Whats wrong with my baby!

Would really apreciate advice!
Cheers

sounds like you have an airlock.

what is the level at in the expansion tank? the main rad bleed screw is behind the drivers side headlight. i think with the S/SX's though there is no bleed screw for the heater matrix. im not too sure how you'd bleed one of them

Early S/SXs have a bleed screw at the heater. Fully bleed the system usinf both screws and try again. The water pumps on these can get weak so they only work at engine speeds abouve 1500rpm. At idle they are not moving enough water.

Cheers

D

cinqxpress said:
I wonder if anyone could help me...

My 93 cinq is making odd gurgling/bubbling noises which are coming from the radiator cap/tank. Its the first time ive heard it today when l got out the car after a journey.

ive noticed the radiator fan isnt cutting in or out anymore. - The car has not overheated yet because ive not been in a traffic jam long enough and the moment l start moving the temp needle goes back down to normal.

The heater in the car is barely blowing out heat anymore - if you turn it on the low setting you get heat but put it on full whack and it blows out cold air!.

Could it be the thermostat? and has anyone else encountered the same problems?. Whats wrong with my baby!

Would really apreciate advice!
Cheers

o Dear sounds like my problem i have just had on my fiat bravo 1.2 sx 16v
not a good sign !!! HEAD GASKET !!! :bang: hope its not though because its set me back £360.72p let us know what it is when you find out :confused:

I thought that if the head gasket had gone the car temp would just keep going up and up till it overheats? my cinq doesnt do that - it levels out per normal and only begins to rise up slowly and steadily when im stuck in a jam. The second i start moving it goes back down again...

cinqxpress said:
I thought that if the head gasket had gone the car temp would just keep going up and up till it overheats? my cinq doesnt do that - it levels out per normal and only begins to rise up slowly and steadily when im stuck in a jam. The second i start moving it goes back down again...

Yup, fine, but make sure its bled before going anywhere.

Cheers

D

if it was the head gasket you would have other problems rather than just the heater not working.

bleed the system to get out any air there is in there (I suspect that that is where the gurgling is coming from). The haynes manual should tell you how to do this i think? I know it does for a sporting.

Then if no joy then I would recommend changing the thermostat as you have said. The heater in my sisters old 106 wasnt working when we got it (just cold air), it was because the thermostat was jammed. quick change and it was sorted :)

IF you are worried abou the head gasket, check for loss of coolant over time, excessive white smoke from exhaust (bear in mind that you will get alot at this time of year anyway). white gunk in the oil filler cap or oil in the coolant (will float on top and look like a shiny film on top of the water, kinda like petrol in a puddle).

Bushboy said:
if it was the head gasket you would have other problems rather than just the heater not working.

bleed the system to get out any air there is in there (I suspect that that is where the gurgling is coming from). The haynes manual should tell you how to do this i think? I know it does for a sporting.

Then if no joy then I would recommend changing the thermostat as you have said. The heater in my sisters old 106 wasnt working when we got it (just cold air), it was because the thermostat was jammed. quick change and it was sorted :)

IF you are worried abou the head gasket, check for loss of coolant over time, excessive white smoke from exhaust (bear in mind that you will get alot at this time of year anyway). white gunk in the oil filler cap or oil in the coolant (will float on top and look like a shiny film on top of the water, kinda like petrol in a puddle).

How does the car start when it is cold ? mine was a bit grogy , then once it was warm it was fine apart from the heating and that gulping sound in the matrix .

o forgot to say feel your pipes once its warm and see if any of them air still cold ? this could help you with finding out where the problem is , my out feed pipe from my head to the radiator was cold ( the top pipe) so i changed the thermostat and still no luck , then i noticed a milky substance on the oil cap ( o dear ) turns out it was the head gasket , instead of water going round the system it was leaking into the cylinders and oil . as you said the car is not overheating (mine was not) , the heat temp would go to half temp the when i reved the car or moved i got that gulping sound again in the matrix (dash board) and the temp droped fast ??? its very strange in it .

check my post of my problem and everybody told me its an air lock or slim chance head gasket.

just hope you only have an air lock(y)

Bushboy said:

How does the car start when it is cold ? mine was a bit grogy , then once it was warm it was fine apart from the heating and that gulping sound in the matrix .

o forgot to say feel your pipes once its warm and see if any of them are still cold ? this could help you with finding out where the problem is , my out feed pipe from my head to the radiator was cold ( the top pipe) so i changed the thermostat and still no luck , then i noticed a milky substance on the oil cap ( o dear ) turns out it was the head gasket , instead of water going round the system it was leaking into the cylinders and oil . as you said the car is not overheating (mine was not) , the heat temp would go to half temp the when i reved the car or moved i got that gulping sound again in the matrix (dash board) and the temp droped fast ??? its very strange in it .

check my post of my problem and everybody told me its an air lock or slim chance head gasket.

just hope you only have an air lock(y)

Cheers for the advice - il check it tonight when l get home and get back to you :eek:)

Ok this is what l can identify so far...

1. It hasent really lost any water as l checked.

2. If l rev the engine the heater gets warmer but when it goes to idle again it loses the heat!. This is very apparent when the heater is on full whack but not so bad if its at level one.

3. No problems or mis fires when starting it up.

4. No white gunk in the oil cap.

5. Slight smell of antifreeze in the cabin

6. However, one thing ive noticed is where there is a material esque cover at the back of the engine bay (i presume the heater is behind it) there is lots of white boiled water marks that look as if theyve seeped through the material and stained it. I cant get a proper look until the weekend but if a pipe or something has perished that would affect the heating?? Would this also cause the radiator fan not to work?

Your knowledge is much appreciated :)

cinqxpress said:
Ok this is what l can identify so far...

1. It hasent really lost any water as l checked.

Did you bleed the system to check, or just open the lid.

cinqxpress said:
2. If l rev the engine the heater gets warmer but when it goes to idle again it loses the heat!. This is very apparent when the heater is on full whack but not so bad if its at level one.

Sounds like the water pump. As the car idles the water in the heater matrix is cooled by the fan. If the pump is not pushing more hot water into place then the heater will blow cold. The fan on the fast setting cools the water quicker.

cinqxpress said:
3. No problems or mis fires when starting it up.

This is good

cinqxpress said:
4. No white gunk in the oil cap.

This is also good

cinqxpress said:
5. Slight smell of antifreeze in the cabin

This is part of a problem and relates to that below.

cinqxpress said:
6. However, one thing ive noticed is where there is a material esque cover at the back of the engine bay (i presume the heater is behind it) there is lots of white boiled water marks that look as if theyve seeped through the material and stained it. I cant get a proper look until the weekend but if a pipe or something has perished that would affect the heating?? Would this also cause the radiator fan not to work?

The heater matrix lives behind the carpet, correct. The smell of anti freeze in the car suggests that the matrix or an associated pipe has failed.

The matrix is above the level of the header tank,therefore it is extremely vital that you bleed the system as the header tank can be full, but the heater matrix empty and therefore air in the system, which is a very bad thing.

The fan not working could be connected, but needs urgent investigation before it causes the engine to overheat and pop the head gasket.

cinqxpress said:
Your knowledge is much appreciated :)

Your welcome

Cheers

D

Back