Technical Guestimate of reassembly time

Currently reading:
Technical Guestimate of reassembly time

telemike4

Hi all
My 500 is completely disassembled for painting (suspension off, etc). I'm looking for an estimate of how many hours it might take to refurbish and replace everything back on the car after it is painted (noting that I will simply be putting the engine/gearbox back in without any further work to them at this stage). Assume that my target is decent but not concours quality and that I have moderate skills.

I didn't disassemble a lot of the car, so have no idea. I do have a spare assembled 500 to help with the details as well as several friends with the same cars.

Is there anyone willing to give me an estimate of how many hours?

thanks, Michael.

Hi all
My 500 is completely disassembled for painting (suspension off, etc). I'm looking for an estimate of how many hours it might take to refurbish and replace everything back on the car after it is painted (noting that I will simply be putting the engine/gearbox back in without any further work to them at this stage). Assume that my target is decent but not concours quality and that I have moderate skills.

I didn't disassemble a lot of the car, so have no idea. I do have a spare assembled 500 to help with the details as well as several friends with the same cars.

Is there anyone willing to give me an estimate of how many hours?

thanks, Michael.
How long is a piece of string? It will party be controlled by how much time is required to refurbish parts prior to re-fitment. Also, how many hours a week/weekend can you spend on the project? Just spending a couple of hours every evening will extend the rebuild time (vis-a-vie doing long week-end session) as it always takes a bit of time to mentally catch-up with what you did last time and decide what to do "this time". Sorry to sound so negative, but it really is an almost un-answerable question.

The 500 is a pretty simple vehicle, actually bolting it all back together wouldn’t take more than a few days I’m sure, it’s refurbishing the parts that will take the time.

How long that refurbishment will take will be greatly influenced by the standard you wish to work to, the tools you have available (for example, changing suspension bushes with a press takes just a few minutes vs burning the old rubber out, carefully hacksawing through the shell and driving the prices out before drawing the new bush in with a large bolt) and whether you are tackling some of the more challenging parts yourself (for example doing your own king pin replacement vs buying a refurbished set on an exchange basis).

Break the big job down into small pieces, set yourself achievable goals and keep the motivation high with regular time ( even if it’s in small doses) working on the car and it’ll be back together in no time 🙂

Thanks. I had guessed 20-30 hours so that pretty much aligns with your views Goldenrust. Some refurbishment is needed. Some (at least) blowout of this timeframe will occur. If I get really keen I might keep a record, but probably not. Cheers.

Back