Technical Grating Sound.. Please Help!

Currently reading:
Technical Grating Sound.. Please Help!

Munkie

My Punto 55SX (N) has been making a grating sound (like metal on metal) in all gears apart from 4th. You can hear a rattle in neutral and when you press down on the clutch pedal the rattle dissapears. Does anybody know what the symptoms of this mean? :bang:

Also does anybody know where I can get a LHS headlamp unit ;)

Cheers

Munkie

normaly the rattle going away when pressing clutch is sign of clutch releasing bearing problems. wich can be replaced or get new clutch, not sure about the other symptons.

as for light cheapest bet is a scrap yard. new one is gonna be £60 plus i reckon, just a thought you looked on ebay many bargains to be had there

Munkie said:
My Punto 55SX (N) has been making a grating sound (like metal on metal) in all gears apart from 4th. You can hear a rattle in neutral and when you press down on the clutch pedal the rattle dissapears. Does anybody know what the symptoms of this mean? :bang:

Also does anybody know where I can get a LHS headlamp unit ;)

Cheers

Munkie
If its not the clutch thrust bearing it could be a gearbox bearing or a tooth off one of the gears could try draining the gearbox & see if anything comes out with the oil.
Usually new headlamps available on eBay from £30 up, breakers otherwise.

Thanks all, i'm just worried that i'll have to replace the whole gearbox. I'll try the clutch first and see if that works.

Munkie

Back