Graphics Card

Currently reading:
Graphics Card

BenGP

Basically I currently have a Nvidia 9800GT card running two samsung 24" monitors through DVI, the picture I get from this card is stunning, not too great for gaming, especially running both of these monitors at full resolution, but I am looking at buying a 40-42" tv to go with the set and wanted to know about graphics card options. As I want to run 2 24" monitors and a 40" LCD through HDMI would a single graphics card be able to cope with it?

I've been looking at this one (not sure if I want to go ATI route as Ive always been a Nvidia man, but can't find one for less than £300) this ATI seems good value!

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-126-PC&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=708

Any help/'advice much appreciated! (y)

What budget do you have?

That may be slightly underpowered - but do you need it for gaming?

Have you checked to make sure you can output from 2 DVIs and HDMI at the same time? - edit - forget that!!! :D

Last edited:
Im looking to spend up to £200 on the card.

Not necessarily for gaming as I have my 360, although it would be nice to have the option.

Thats basically what I wanted to know would the card be capable of running 2 DVI and a HDMI at the same time, or is it going to be out of my budget?

Cheers :)

Thats basically what I wanted to know would the card be capable of running 2 DVI and a HDMI at the same time, or is it going to be out of my budget?
Check out the specs of Eyefinity for this gfx card range. You can do it, but you may need something else - not played with it personally, I am still on an 4870 X2!

Eyefinity
Both the Radeon HD 5770 and 5750 support Eyefinity, ATI's multi-monitor output solution. The two cards can run three monitors, although doing so could prove tricky. If you already own three monitors and want to plug them in, two of your monitors can run on either DVI or HDMI inputs with plug converters. To enable the third monitor you will need a Displayport monitor or an active Displayport adapter to convert an existing DVI/HDMI monitor into one. We've seen numerous posts, in forums about just this issue. ATI didn't go out of their way to hide this little fact. It's just not something most people are looking for in the manual, and to be honest we were a little blindsided by it too, despite the company's best efforts

I would look at the higher range of cards personally, but then again I never skimp on hardware.

Last edited:
Thanks,

I suppose it is just a third monitor just running from HDMI.

Had a look at the ATI Eyefinity, and I can't see why you need an adaptor??? surely if there is 2 dvi ports and a HDMI port already on the graphics card it should run, might have to send some emails.

Thanks anyway.(y)

Anyone else know of a decent graphics card that might be able to do this?

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0031HAVSA/ref=nosim/?tag=hotukdeals-21"]Sapphire HD5870 1GB GDDR5 Graphics Card: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo[/ame]

If you wanted to spend another £60 I'd say get one of them :)

Thanks Ive had a look and can see that it has two display port adapters but only one Dual link DVI. I know that Display ports have HDMI compatibility which solves my HDTV problem but only one DVI means only one monitor unless I use an adapter from display port to HDMI to DVI :confused:

Unless im missing something

Cheers:)

Thanks Ive had a look and can see that it has two display port adapters but only one Dual link DVI. I know that Display ports have HDMI compatibility which solves my HDTV problem but only one DVI means only one monitor unless I use an adapter from display port to HDMI to DVI :confused:

Unless im missing something

Cheers:)
Also, I'm not sure how true it is these days but workstation cards were never that great for gaming when I had a look a few years ago.

Ahh yeah, I mis-understood and assumed that 'dual link' meant you could connect 2:LOL:VI by means of an included splitter. Though, I've seen adaptors that allow DVI->HDMI so there may be a DVI->DisplayPort adaptor out there. As said though, if gaming will be on the menu then that's not going to be the card for you.

what about this on preorder?

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0036DD4E2"]Sapphire HD5870 VAPOR-X OC Graphics Card: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo[/ame]

according to hexus you can use DVI & HDMI similtaneously

http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=20948&page=2

IMG_1321.jpg

good bit cheaper on amazon than others,though its budget busting

http://www.google.co.uk/products?hl=en&scoring=p&q="HD+5870"+VAPOR-X

Last edited:
Cheers,

Ive had a look and it does say they can be used simultaneously, but one of them has to be the display port, I suppose I could just get an adapter from DP to HDMI, I didn't think this would be such a problem! lol. I suppose the only thing I can do is buy one and try it! Might have to save up for a bit longer though :(

Thanks guys (y)

Out of interest, what are you going to do with the 3 displays? Will they all mirror each other or will you be stretching your desktop across all 3 displays?
Just curious as I used to have a 3 monitor set up with the desktop stretched across all 3, but only a few games supported it properly :(

I wont necessarily be using it for gaming primarily, but i would have the 2 x 24" monitors on the desk, and a third 40" LCD wall mounted above them on an adjustable wall mount for movies/tv etc usually in HD 720 or 1080, and even BluRay. So ideally would like them all to be independent so I can still use the 2 24" while watching the big one above.

I know its not a huge necessity but I just wanted to do it because it really would look good, and would be functional as well. Would have the xbox plugged into the TV also.

Im a bit of a geek you see (y) lol

Thats basically what I wanted mate (y) Thanks.

The only reason I wanted to do it through a graphics card, so I could play things through VLC, meaning .mkv .iso and other things could be played. If that plays .mkv files thats good enough for me!

I didn't think this would be such a hard question, because theres so many graphics cards out there with 3+ outputs, but finding one where you can use them simultaneously is nigh on impossible without spending a fortune!

Thanks guys much appreciated. (y):D

Thats basically what I wanted mate (y) Thanks.

The only reason I wanted to do it through a graphics card, so I could play things through VLC, meaning .mkv .iso and other things could be played. If that plays .mkv files thats good enough for me!
Well, I use the Popcorn Hour - it is hard-wired into my router, using a 10m Cat6 cable. This sits under my TV, and has a remote control. All my media folders are then shared :)

But the WD-TV looks good as well, and now with network support.

This allows me to play all my media. Even better if you don't want to go for a high-end card for gaming.

Back