Technical Grande Punto Active 1.2 Start problem

Currently reading:
Technical Grande Punto Active 1.2 Start problem

Jaymo

Hi all,

Had my punto for a few years now and this is the first time it's failed to start.

Okay so I drove home from work yesterday evening with no problems what so ever. Got a quick change, then back into the car to go to 5-a-side and boom. Problem.

When I turn the key in the ignition it there is a clicking noise coming from under the hood. The lights do come on but the electrics seem dampened. For example the electric windows are sluggish etc.

My uncle helped me bump start my car, and it worked fine. I drove it around for around 5 minutes and then left it running before turning the engine off. I then left it for a minute or so and tried to turn the engine on again and the same problem occurred.

Now, very rarely, I will hear a grinding kind of noise coming from under the hood when starting the car. Whenever this has happened I immediately turn the key and take it out. Then put it back in, turn it and it starts no problem.

I'm wondering if this has anything to do with the problem I'm having now.

A mechanic came today and fitted a new battery as he thought this was the problem, but it doesn't seem to have done the trick.

I've attached a video so that you can see and hear for yourselves the clicking noise.

Thanks for taking your time to read this post!

I'd off said battery myself. You checked the earthing points? Corroded points will make car hard to start.

Last edited:
The electrics had been working fine on my way home (about a 20-25 min drive) and due to it being warm I left my windows slightly open so I didn't bake when I got back into the car to go to football.

It was only when it failed to start and the clicking occured, which was rapid at first with the dials flickering, that I tried to close the window and it was sluggish

Flickering dials I would said battery again. Id check the earthing points from the battery and see where that takes you. May have a faulty earthing point

Thanks mate!

Given that a go and had a chat with the mech. He reckons that the starter motor is shot but he could take it apart or get a refurb to keep the costs down!

Also thinks that the ignition switch may need some work.

Thinks that for whatever reason the car has been stuck "in mesh" and that's whats causing the problems.

I'm certain this will mean more to you guy's and girls than me!

Refurb starter motors are a lot cheaper. Think on ebay you send yours an they send a refurb to you for like £50 or so.

Hopefully won't cost to much to sort. If not costing much for him take it apart maybe as well first as saves buying something that's fine

Back