Technical Grande problems!

Currently reading:
Technical Grande problems!

prsurf2k

Hello everyone,
I have introduced myself inthe new members forum but since this is specifc here we go.
My name is Omar Ortiz, American living/working in Germany. I have a 2005 Dec 1.2 grande punto. This used to be my wifes car until May 2011. Our family grew so my wife got a new car and I'm driving the punto. I drive about 75km to and from work 2-3 days a week. So far gas mileage is ok depending on my driving style that week. Here's my problem a year ago one morning my car wouldnt turn over, thought it might be the battery. Called ADAC they jump started it worked fine a week later same thing no start up . I noticed the starter would not engage. Tried to jump start nothing. Got a new battery , started right up but when I turned the ignition off and pulled the key out the car was still running. Looked it up and thats where I found the Fiat Forums. Saw in one post that that symptom was indicative of a bad starter. Took it tp the shop and they replaced it for 170 euro plus labor. Now about two weeks ago same thing. Took it same shop couldnt find the receipt gor the work done last time and they claimed that it wasnt in their computer anymore. Fine I askd them to check the starter again and replace if neccessary. I get a call a few days later to bring in the main key bacause the imobiliser was engaged. Once again looked it up on the forums , disconnect neg/ground from battery for an hour do it would reset. I took the key in. Ok so a week later I get a call from the shop they cant figure out what it is and need to send it to the Fiat dealer. The shop thrre tells us a few days later that the fuse box is bad. Supposedly it is wet and oxidized. That I need a new fuse box and electrical cabling redone. So my wife and I decide to try and fix it by ordering the part from used parts seller . I pickd the car up today hooked up the battery and it did not turn over , opened the bonnet looked at the fuse boxe . It isnot wet did not see any oxodation no burnt cables or relays or fuses. Anyone have any suggestions ideas quotes for used fuse box or dhould I replace the stsrter snd see if that fixes it.

thanks for the help in advance.
looking forward to hearing from youu all.

thankful,
prsurf2k

Hi, and welcome to FF,
sounds like you've has good use from an early Grande - but it's now showing it's age..,
how many miles/ KMS has it covered now..?

water getting into the fusebox is indeed a common issue - however it's normally due to somebody disturbing the lid / cap and it not being sealed properly.. sounds as if this isn't the case.

somebody with more GP experience will add to this later.. good luck,
Charlie

It has 143k km. Had not given me any problems until a year and a half ago when it showed us its first signs of age and the electric power steering gave out. Ran fine until 6 months after that and then the first starter problem.

prsurf2k

Back