Got some bad news... i think

Currently reading:
Got some bad news... i think

blu73 said:
Not true, your speedo does not have to work to get through an MOT, however if you have a rev counter it must work

exactly you dont even need a speedo (like on many small bikes). but if you dont have a working speedo you can't use it as an excuse for speeding.

in my last MOT they tried to fail me because my dash didnt have a seperate light to show when dipped beam was on. after a bit of arguing and a phone call the guy accepted that only high beam requires a seperate light. they really should know that already.

I dont know how your going to prove your needle was stuck but let me tell you that I had a similar situation when I had my TS10 I tried to brake for a red light at a cross roads and had an excruciating pain to my lower spine and could not stop the car so had to go through :eek: luckily I managed to control the car and my wife drove afterwards I had medical evidence of this but they weren't interested just wanted their pound of flesh (n)

blu73 said:
Not true, your speedo does not have to work to get through an MOT, however if you have a rev counter it must work

A speedo is not tested during the MOT, but it is still a legal requirement to have one fitted, acurate to within +/- 7.5% and working correctly.

jug said:
exactly you dont even need a speedo (like on many small bikes). but if you dont have a working speedo you can't use it as an excuse for speeding.

I was under the belief that all motor vehicles licenced for use on British roads MUST had a working speedometer?

I doubt if the 'needle was stuck at 50mph' argument would work in court either (they've probably heard that excuse millions of times already!) The only way I suspect it could work is if you had an electronic speedo that generated a fault code at the time you allegedly sped, which could then be read off by a diagnostics computer. Or if the vehicle was fitted with a Tachograph (unlikely unless you were driving a commerical vehicle) as this would show the speed that was indicated at the time of the possible speeding.

Either way, I'd worry about it only when/ if a summons turns up. There's not much else you can do unfortunately other than make sure your speedo unit is functioning correctly.

Listen mate, don't get too worried.

I got caught doing 48mph in a 40mph zone the other day, I thought I was in the clear because I was on the 13th day of the NIR (the Police have to get the letter/ticket to you within 14 days for it to be valid), however, my luck, 14th day I was hit with the ticket.
I am 17, first speeding offense. I wrote to the Essex Police (from the ticket was issued) and explained my situation of how I had previously had an accident on my moped which was due to the other driver speeding and I am completely aware of the results of speeding etc. I also noted that I am aware of a 'Speed Awareness' course that can be taken. This course drops the 3 points - you still have to pay £60, but for the course.
I am awaiting the letter which will tell me when my course is.

So - Ask the police force who send you the letter about the speed awareness course, also - explain your situation to them; hopefully they'll let you take the course. Before I forget, you can only opt and take this course ONCE every two years, so if you get flashed again you're stuffed.

PeteyPye said:
Listen mate, don't get too worried.

I got caught doing 48mph in a 40mph zone the other day, I thought I was in the clear because I was on the 13th day of the NIR (the Police have to get the letter/ticket to you within 14 days for it to be valid), however, my luck, 14th day I was hit with the ticket.
I am 17, first speeding offense. I wrote to the Essex Police (from the ticket was issued) and explained my situation of how I had previously had an accident on my moped which was due to the other driver speeding and I am completely aware of the results of speeding etc. I also noted that I am aware of a 'Speed Awareness' course that can be taken. This course drops the 3 points - you still have to pay £60, but for the course.
I am awaiting the letter which will tell me when my course is.

So - Ask the police force who send you the letter about the speed awareness course, also - explain your situation to them; hopefully they'll let you take the course. Before I forget, you can only opt and take this course ONCE every two years, so if you get flashed again you're stuffed.

my girlfriend got caught doing 70 in a 60 zone about an hour ago by a police van with cameras in it. luckily i've just read this. what a coincidence! if the ticket comes through the letter box i'll be writing a letter for her. fingers crossed :)

I like the idea of that scheme, and it obviously works OK for them, since they get their £60 fine money to go towards their next bmw chase car.
you don't get your points.
so they can fine you more times before you loose your license.

everyones a winnner(y)

Back