Going electric

Currently reading:
Going electric

Status
Not open for further replies.
My understanding is that using a rotary as a generator makes far more sense than attaching it to a gearbox and driving the wheels. If it's run at a constant speed they are far more durable and the inherent smoothness, simplicity, small size and light weight makes it far more suited than a reciprocating engine.

As it's a rex not an engine it's not as much of an issue you just run it at it's most efficient rpm constantly. Also the entire point of a rex is that 99% of trips you don't use it it's only to provide a back up if the batteries are low.

If most of the time its dead weight small and light can be more beneficial than economy in use, lighter it is, less electricity you waste moving it, less likely you are to need it.

As it's a rex not an engine it's not as much of an issue you just run it at it's most efficient rpm constantly. Also the entire point of a rex is that 99% of trips you don't use it it's only to provide a back up if the batteries are low.

If most of the time its dead weight small and light can be more beneficial than economy in use, lighter it is, less electricity you waste moving it, less likely you are to need it.

It may well be the perfect use for the rotary engine.

As you say constant rpm not under any heavy load and can be tuned for peak fuel economy, it might prove to be a far more reliable little engine than when used to drive the wheels directly.

A range extender generator will be an alternator and rectifier so the prime mover can run at any speed to suit the load and conditions with optimum fuel efficiency. This is a significant saving and why the "inverter" type portable AC generators are so much lighter and fuel efficient. The ultimate is a small gas turbine generator running on hydrogen with a storage battery and electric drivetrain.
I'm in the USA on business at the moment and they are advertising a new Honda plug-in hybrid with a headline 340 mile range. However when you read the small print the ev range is only 47 miles so it looks not that much better than a non plug-in. The one advantage is if you do a short trip to work plus regular longer runs you can use just one car.

Robert G8RPI.

Out of interest, how did that work out with regards to charging? :)

Remarkable easy tbh.

Planned the route before hand. Theres even an app (plugshare) where you put in your range between charges and start and destination and it'll pick a route with chargers on it.

I stopped twice each way. Start each end of the route on a full charge. On the way out hit the first charger with 50% still in the battery so only stopped for 10-15min. Second charge was 25-30min and I went for a McDonalds. Was done when I came out :)

I wasn't hanging about on parts of the route either.

Next long journey it in April, down to London for a Wedding, then to Chepstow for the weekend before coming back to Norwich.

Managed to charge for free at Lidl in Lincoln each way :D

Attachments

• IMG_8510.JPG
    IMG_8510.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 34
On a full charge using the heating - which on the Soul is a very efficient airsource heat pump, reduces the indicated range by only 3-4 miles.

On cars like the early Nissan Leaf etc with eletric heating (think small Emerson heater setup with an element in coolant, it's crippling and will half your range! :eek:

Other electrics make no noticeable difference.

I think someone on the Leaf forum worked out the headlights will reduce your range by something silly like 200ft per charge lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back