Going electric

Currently reading:
Going electric

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry Andy you are completely wrong apart from "Anything is possible if you are willing to pay your money.". Every house is NOT "Plugged into the 3 phase system" and every house one the same side of the street is not on the same phase. The 3 phase feeder runs down the street and each house has a single phase cable tapped into it, every third house on the same phase. They do not waste metal feeding two unused phases to each house. On modern systems they don't even have seperate neutral and earth conductors, the use the sheath/armour for both. Yes industrial unirs have 3 phase supplies houses don't. To get 3 a 3 pase supply involves digging up the road, trenching (or blind boring) from there to the house and installing a new 3 phase cable. Not a cheap job. The company I knew that had to pay for a substation was in a fairly modern (1970's) industrial estate, no housing at all. Still no nswer on how they will supply hundreds of charging stations at motorway services. A conservative number for the near future would be 50 80kW and 20 120kW (Tesla) charging at a services would consume over 6MW. Thats a lot of power.

Robert G8RPI

You’re picking and choosing how you interpret things as usual.

The entire electrical transmission system from power station to the cable in the street is a three phase system. So in essence, every house is on a 3phase connection, it’s just that the house is only connected to a single phase.

I’ve already mentioned if you’d bothered to read (which as usual you didn’t bother) that the problem comes depending on how far you are away from the other two phases and the work involved in connecting this to your house

And no you don’t go down the street with every alternate house on one phase, then the next then the next. A whole series of houses are connected to one phase, then the next phase gets connected to the next lot of houses.

This goes back to the comment above, if each house was neatly connected to each phase in turn then it would be easy for anyone to install a 3 phase system into any property as the connection to the next phase would never be more than the next door neighbor’s house away and would cost far less to install than the couple of grand it actually does cost.

How will they supply the demand at motorway service stations to charge dozens of car..... I dunno, maybe the 400kv power lines that run along side most of the UK motorways may be able to offer some sort of solution... :rolleyes:

Roberts right, every third house on single phase, flats multi dwellings usually have 3 phase at entry point, but then down to single phase at individual consumer units. Hence not all the houses go out in the event of a fault/power cut, same will apply with street lighting depending on scale.

If this were the case then as previously noted, in the event of a power cut every third house would neatly go without power, which of course doesn’t happen, 100/200 yards of houses go out while others in the street still have lights.

Robert talks about wasting money, they don’t waste money running an individual cable to every house from the 3 phase supply.

One line off the 3 phase system can power dozens of houses in a row

Sorry Andy it is more complicated than that and power cuts will always take out all three phases unless something very local happens. Anyway, aside from many flavours of difficulty getting enough power from the substations an equally dividing issue is getting power to every car in your average random street parking scenario, don't get me started on the rubbish way parking is handled in even new developments. As a further aside my work, on a brown field site in an industrial area, has had to upgrade the power onto the site for factory use. There will be 5 or so charging points out of around 150 spaces. The planning restrictions mean not all workers are allowed to park on site (not allowed enough spaces). Not totally unreasonable as many can walk or cycle. The point is no way can anyone rely on charging at home or work anytime soon.

I think this is trying to stray a little off topic, but the bits about the infrastructure not coping with demand is not surprising. If we all tried to plug a car in tonight we might be disappointed in the morning.

I was aware that in any street approximately one third of the houses are on each phase, as are one third of the streetlights. A long time ago, a friend who worked for what is now National Grid said that usually alternate houses were fed, so each third house is on the same one. Having said that, I think you're both right. I've seen a power cut where every third house was affected, and another where a row of houses was affected, so it can be done either way. I'm sure the installer has a plan, not always the same one.

If this were the case then as previously noted, in the event of a power cut every third house would neatly go without power, which of course doesn’t happen, 100/200 yards of houses go out while others in the street still have lights.

Robert talks about wasting money, they don’t waste money running an individual cable to every house from the 3 phase supply.

One line off the 3 phase system can power dozens of houses in a row

You are wrong, in the case of a single phase fault at the substation of main feeder evey third house (and streetlight) goes out. I've seen this several times and also been out with crews trying to track down underground faults. Generally you loose all three phases though. There are always exceptions, but the easist way to ensure a balanced load is to put every third house on a different phase.

You are wrong,

Just quit it.

You work on aeroplane avionics for a living, that has nothing to do with 3 phase power transmission and and isn’t even in the same ball park as power transmission and distribution.
The other day you claimed you did optical design on a discussion about head lights. You’ve plastered your CV on the internet, doesn’t appear to mention any of this stuff you now claim, just many years of playing with planes.

You just like to troll any arguments and try and hide behind a qualification to claim you know about any given subject.

I worked for Fluke Precision measurements as an engineer 9 years ago, we built and designed and repaired power meters, installation testers and calibration equipment. For all of the above.
We wrote the book on this stuff and every sparky in the country used our stuff. I still have a lot of friends work in the industry, my father in law owns an electricians company in North Yorkshire. Also this stuff hasn’t changed since the 1950s I might be a little rusty on things these days but I still remember and know enough to know when someone is google bashing.

Last edited:
Just quit it.

You work on aeroplane avionics for a living, that has nothing to do with 3 phase power transmission and and isn’t even in the same ball park as power transmission and distribution.
The other day you claimed you did optical design on a discussion about head lights. You’ve plastered your CV on the internet, doesn’t appear to mention any of this stuff you now claim, just many years of playing with planes.

You just like to troll any arguments and try and hide behind a qualification to claim you know about any given subject.

I worked for Fluke Precision measurements as an engineer 9 years ago, we built and designed and repaired power meters, installation testers and calibration equipment. For all of the above.
We wrote the book on this stuff and every sparky in the country used our stuff. I still have a lot of friends work in the industry, my father in law owns an electricians company in North Yorkshire. Also this stuff hasn’t changed since the 1950s I might be a little rusty on things these days but I still remember and know enough to know when someone is google bashing.

I don't know who's CV you are looking at but mine isn't "plastered....on the interne". Yes I currently work in aviation but have also worked in biotechnology, there are patents for some of the optical work I did there amonst other things. I started my working life repairing microprocessor based equipment way back in the mid '70's and was also taught domestic and industrial wiring back then. As I said I've also help find underground power feeder faults way back when I had a time-domain reflectometer and the local electrical company didn't (they soon bought one). I've had personal tours of battery production plants aross the UK and USA. I've been quality manager of an electrical calibration lab. Aircraft 3 phase systems are not that much different to mains distribution. I know power system standards across the world because the biotech equipment was sold worldwide. I know Fluke equipment very well. I have seven of their multimeters / voltmeters, two or 3 thermometers, a portable scope, and a power analyser (actually a Voltech but Fluke bought them out so if it was new it would say Fluke). Those are just for my personal use! I specified the 437 analyser they use at work. I was also part of the team that designed, built and ran the fastest car in the world. My work on that included designing and building the on-board 20kW 3 phase power system. The instruments you refer to are domestic and light industrial installation testers. I don't have a multifunction tester as I prefer to use individual instruments, I don't need something that was designed for idiots to use.
I don't know everthing and If I make a mistake I am happy to be corrected, but will not back down when I know I'm right. If you read my posts you will see I always say if I'm not sure about somthing I'm saying or suggesting.

Robert G8RPI.

this-one-time-qrogco.jpg

Bringing it back on topic :p (never thought I'd say that with the number of times I've taken things off topic before.

That thought just randomly occurred to me, as I'd imagine a lot of mass produced EVs will be made from steel in order to help keep costs down?

Out of interest, how many electric Souls did Kia manage to sell in the UK?

Not sure about the Soul, but know my previous Prius Plug-in had aluminium tailgate and bonnet. New Prius has a fibreglass tailgate apparently (costly if rear ended).

Kia haven't pushed the sale of the Soul EV in the UK, only 380-400 units sold since its release in 2014 I believe. However they've sold very well elsewhere.

A thought crossed my mind during the evening. If the EV needs charging overnight, it sort of prevents going out for the evening, or maybe even popping out for a takeaway if a full charge is important next day. So, early to bed everyone.

I don't follow.

As others have said, my Soul will charge from 0-100% at home on a 7kw 32amp charger at 4.5-5 hours. Very rarely return home empty, so a 1-2 hour top up (not that I've ever had to do that in the 1100 miles covered so far) would be adequate most of the time.

I'm going to be honest and say I probably wasn't entirely awake when I made the 7kwh comment..god knows.

I've mainly been playing around with this https://leccy.net

You won't have a 3 phase charger at your home address but you can certainly plan one into your route. Also the leaf has previously had a fast charge capability and continues to offer that in the new model which allows 80% charge in 40 minutes off the correct power source.

Main point was though unless you are charging off a 2.3kw domestic socket charging all night is not required.

(y)

The Leaf has the option of a home fast charger 7kw charger full charge in around 7.5 hrs

Fast charger (if the £1100 option was factory fitted on the original 2013-2017 Leaf was selected) would charge a 24kw in about 4 hours, and the 30kw in 4.5-5. Most will only allow you to charge at 3kw however (one reason I went for the Soul as the 7kw charger was standard kit).

Pod point do a 22kw home charger (provided your local infrastructure supports) for 1k installed taking into account 500 quid government grant. Not quite the full 50kw beast that you get in public places but should be more than enough to charge a 40kw leaf pretty damn quickly.

Won't charge a Leaf any quicker as the onboard charger is what will limit this. Only the Zoe and B-Class ED will charge at 22kw. Most EV onboard chargers are either 3.3 or 6.6kw.

This thread has been round the block several times & back again & then some. Been on & off topic, some willy waving thrown in & spurious bits as well...:D

Over the years on here I've witnessed more times than I can remember threads going way off topic. For some it's like a hobby & some take things too personally. I come from a time when we used to engage face to face & even though differences of opinions & loud voices were known from time to time, we all came out in good humor.

It's one thing getting the craic on here but it's kind of sad that things turn out the way they do just because of differences of opinions.

Won't charge a Leaf any quicker as the onboard charger is what will limit this. Only the Zoe and B-Class ED will charge at 22kw. Most EV onboard chargers are either 3.3 or 6.6kw.

Did wonder about that..find it a little odd it apparently accepts 50kw (I'm guessing that's part of the optional fast charge system) but that's DC rather than AC if I have the correct understanding.

Not really a concern to me at this point, I'm very much an interested bystander with no intention of getting involved until the technology matures a bit. At this point a 3 year old electric car is like a 3 year old laptop. Once they aren't releasing bigger batteries every few years and better charging tech then I'll be more interested.

Did wonder about that..find it a little odd it apparently accepts 50kw (I'm guessing that's part of the optional fast charge system) but that's DC rather than AC if I have the correct understanding.

Thats correct. AC chargers are built into the car, where as the Rapid DC chargers are actually in the pump (rapid charger box). So when you connect to a rapid charger it essentially bypasses most of the gibbons in the car and goes straight into the battery. Although there is communication between the car and charger to confirm charge 0% and charge rate etc that it wants, and when to stop.

Had the pleasure of riding in the back of a '14 reg Prius yesterday, for about 20 miles. Don't often get the opportunity to sit in the back of any car, so a nice opportunity. Very comfortable.
Surprisingly a little noisier than expected. Taxi driver says it is the only downside to this and earlier Prius models. Presumably some soundproofing left out to save weight, helps compensate for heavy batteries. Working as a taxi, mostly in and around Oxford, his display shows 65mpg, so overall not bad at all.

Had the pleasure of riding in the back of a '14 reg Prius yesterday, for about 20 miles. Don't often get the opportunity to sit in the back of any car, so a nice opportunity. Very comfortable.
Surprisingly a little noisier than expected. Taxi driver says it is the only downside to this and earlier Prius models. Presumably some soundproofing left out to save weight, helps compensate for heavy batteries. Working as a taxi, mostly in and around Oxford, his display shows 65mpg, so overall not bad at all.

Will say I've ridden in prius and my own car...and prius are like a Japanese car.. I.e. the interior is terrible or at least "dear God they thought this was a good idea well that's cute.." however the rattles and noise have absolutely no correlation to the time it will last. It'll be terrible on day one..and terrible 300k later..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back