Technical Glow plugs for 1.3 Litre multiget diesel - can't surely need to remove the turbo?

Currently reading:
Technical Glow plugs for 1.3 Litre multiget diesel - can't surely need to remove the turbo?

Jack2207

Hi all,

I've owned a 2016 fiorino 1.3 multijet for about 7 weeks and now developed a warning light for glow plug 1 (checked by a local garage). They've advised me the turbo might need to come out and is around a £600 job, surely this is not right?

Any with this is appreciated!

I trust my garage, but I think theyre unsure as to what is the way to go about fixing it - fyi it starts up and runs absolutely fine

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 506
Hi all,

I've owned a 2016 fiorino 1.3 multijet for about 7 weeks and now developed a warning light for glow plug 1 (checked by a local garage). They've advised me the turbo might need to come out and is around a £600 job, surely this is not right?

Any with this is appreciated!

I trust my garage, but I think theyre unsure as to what is the way to go about fixing it - fyi it starts up and runs absolutely fine
I didn't need to remove turbo on my daughters 06 Grande Punto 1.3 multijet to get to the heater plugs assuming same engine, if not I am sure someone will correct.
Do you know for sure it is the heater plugs, has it been fault code read, if so it may tell you which heater plug is at fault so you don't need to access every one.
Also as a basic guide with the heater plug terminals off a multimeter on Ohm setting can quickly tell if a heater plug has continuity from the terminal to earth.

I didn't need to remove turbo on my daughters 06 Grande Punto 1.3 multijet to get to the heater plugs assuming same engine, if not I am sure someone will correct.
Do you know for sure it is the heater plugs, has it been fault code read, if so it may tell you which heater plug is at fault so you don't need to access every one.
Also as a basic guide with the heater plug terminals off a multimeter on Ohm setting can quickly tell if a heater plug has continuity from the terminal to earth.
Did it look like the same as engine Ive put a picture of, with turbo at the front?

It’s glow plug 1 - error comes up for 30 seconds on start up and then disappears

Did it look like the same as engine Ive put a picture of, with turbo at the front?

It’s glow plug 1 - error comes up for 30 seconds on start up and then disappears
It certainly appears to be the same engine from photo.
If you can pull no.1 heater plug terminal off and test plug for continuity as I said, a quick guide is if no continuity then plug faulty. Another thing that can cause intermittent fault is a loose plug connection at the terminal
If that is the case the you will need a suitable size deep socket to fit it and trust that it will undo easily;)

It certainly appears to be the same engine from photo.
If you can pull no.1 heater plug terminal of and test plug for continuity as I said, a quick guide is if no continuity then plug faulty.
If that is the case the you will need a suitable size deep socket to fit it and trust that it will undo easily;)
Yep no continuity as the garage tested

I cant believe it requires the turbo to come out, maybe need to ask someone else - I have no what I’m doing!

Yep no continuity as the garage tested

I cant believe it requires the turbo to come out, maybe need to ask someone else - I have no what I’m doing!
Use your instincts, if your garage has never let you down before go with them, if not able to do it your self.
It may be they are thinking if it is seized in the head then more access to the heater plug may be required to get to it.
The ones I have done all came out OK , however you hear of stories about snapped off heater plugs, so maybe they are a bit wary.

The later engine IS different

Plenty of info on here in the last 18 months.. thats how I know its different

I believe there are subtle differences with these later motors .. so the job can change a little
It seems there is a turbo and non-turbo version of the engine, looks like the turbo is a lot harder

Just in shock its such an expensive job!

I don't think the garage are trying to rip me off, just they aren't sure of the most efficient way of doing it.

If you could direct me to a useful resource if you've seen a lot on here? i've been looking and not found much

Its in many modern fiats.. so a few owners around here

I will have a look :)
For my reference I would be interested to know the main differences as the photo above looks quite similar to my daughters 06 Grande Punto 1.3 multijet lay out from memory, mind you that may just be my "oldtimers disease".;)

75hp ones are easy the later 95 up engines need the turbo heat shield removed I believe due a variable turbo behind fitted

You seem to have commented on most.. of these threads now :) @Jack2207

My recollection was somebody had managed to get to the awkward plugs with a 'novel tool'..

Box spanner
... or something else not in everyday garage use

If your preferred garage are doing the job anyway... let them...

They will soon figure out any access dilemmas (y)

Do let us know how it goes :)

Charlie
anyway

Back