General Fiat Fiorino

Currently reading:
General Fiat Fiorino

Scazz45

Hi guys, I'm new to this site and was hoping to get some honest advice.
I have a 2013 1.3 multi jet fiorino van with 93000 miles on it. Recently I started getting a slight occasional shatter/rattle from the engine bay. Just been to my usual garage and they say its thd water pump bearing and this means a timing belt replacement.
They font do ghat and recommend another garage nearby. That garage says it will need water pump, timing chain and new clutch? Plus the engine and gear box needs to come out! They have given me a price of about £2000. This isn't great news obviously but i can't help thinking that I need a second opinion.
Has anyone had a similar issue or can anyone give me any advice please
Thanks scazz45

Thats a daft price in my view. Timing chains can chatter and its quite a charcteristic noise. Chain and tensioner and a water pump should leave change out of £200, Our local man charges £42 an hour so 900 hours of labour. I dont think so.

I had a Micra which required a new double duplex timing chain at 79K so its not impossible that its the chain rattling. I suggest you ask a Fiat dealer for a budget price for this job you can use that as a top bench mark price . On the micra it was a 500 job a few years back. You should be able to get the price down to under half a main dealer price at a decent honest independant garage.

Thanks so much for your reply, I really appreciate it. That's pretty much what I was thinking to be honest, as nothing has broken yet so no damage done. As you say £200ish seems more realistic as I had the Cam belt changed on my old Swift Ducato motorhome last year during a service visit for about that. Great idea regarding an estimate from a main dealer! You would assume that their charge would be the highest around, I'll do that tomorrow.
Thanks again, much appreciated

Back