General Get those cam belt changed

Currently reading:
General Get those cam belt changed

Hi guys,
i got my belt changed in 2011 on my 1.9 jtd 8v, and decided it was time to change again as i needed to get the tie rods done.

the belt has done under 50,000

2015-03-30 18.33.03.jpg

2015-03-30 18.34.05.jpg

2015-03-30 18.34.22.jpg

As you can see the belt was in very poor condition, im glad i got it sorted as it wouldn't have lasted much longer - let alone the 70,000 or 5 years what ever comes sooner as stated in the service book.
Also the pump was leaking, seal obviously gone, that was also changed last belt change..

Hopefully these will be the last jobs on the old gal, both wishbones replaced, new disks, new tie rods and track rods all the clunking now gone and she is tight again on the steering.
Ready for its new owner later in the year.

Dont forget the auxillary belt as well !.

I'm interested as to where you got the shortlife belt from . (I was supplied a 5 year old cambelt stock item by a well known and promoted online supplier. Never went back to them after that.)

In the old days we always used to change the cambelt at 36k. I'm sure materials are better these days but old habits die hard round here.

aux belt was worst!!, i got the belt from A1 autofactors if memory serves, i think it was a sku belt as well, i will check that with the sticker when im under the bonnet again.
my aux had chunks missing but i dont think it as important as the cam, ok it will stop you driving as the alt will stop but it wont write of the engine.
I agree i cannot get my head around 100,000 mile belts, my wifes 407 is one of those - i do not recall any real upgrades in rubber in the last 20 years.
My old sierra and granadas i would change the belts with the annual service as the belts were so easy to do and very cheap

aux belt was worst!!, i got the belt from A1 autofactors if memory serves, i think it was a sku belt as well, i will check that with the sticker when im under the bonnet again.
my aux had chunks missing but i dont think it as important as the cam, ok it will stop you driving as the alt will stop but it wont write of the engine.
I agree i cannot get my head around 100,000 mile belts, my wifes 407 is one of those - i do not recall any real upgrades in rubber in the last 20 years.
My old sierra and granadas i would change the belts with the annual service as the belts were so easy to do and very cheap

Don't you believe it. I have had an auxiliary belt shred and a small piece got under the cam-belt causing it to jump teeth and bang bent valves!

So do be aware of either belt deteriorating, it can be very expensive!

Last edited:
Back