General Get a sump guard or...

Currently reading:
General Get a sump guard or...

piratepaul

Hi, I was going slowly down a rough track to pick up a boat, I heard a second clunk under the doblo and a change in engine sound... the exaust I thought and continued, no warning lights and the doblo came to a stop going up hill... hmmm I checked the oil... no oil ... looked at the sump and the drain plug had been snapped out a couple of miles back.

Big ends gone poss other damage ... new engine needed.

Can any one tell me how to get the drive shafts out?
Any advice fitting the new engine.
I can get a new engine but it does not have the turbo fitted (been removed).. can I just unbolt my old turbo and bolt it on to the new engine?

Thanks.

Having just changed both shafts, I can tell you they are simple enough.

Left side, short one, undo the centre nut 35mm, then the two bolts & nuts at the bottom of the strut 19mm. Undo the brake flexi from the strut, it should be held in with a little clip, then spray some lube on the rubber to ease it out, Same with the ABS wire, its just a rubber grommet held in place on a push fit bracket.

A lever of some sort to encourage the shaft to pop out of the box will help.

The driver side (long shaft) is a tiny bit more involved. Same procedure for undoing at the hub, but there is a bearing half way up the shaft which attaches it to the engine. Three slightly awkward 10mm bolts to undo and pull it out too.

To avoid gear oil spilling out, jack one side at a time as high as possible and they will come out easy with no spillage.

To avoid tearing the CV boots, get someone to lever the wish bone down a couple of inches while you remove the shaft.

Took me 30 mins each side to remove & replace ;)

Back