Technical Fiat Doblo Turbo - Where to get a replacement?

Currently reading:
Technical Fiat Doblo Turbo - Where to get a replacement?

JamesDM

Hi,

I have a Fiat Doblo 1.3 Multijet 2014, the turbo is on the way out looking for recommendations on where to buy a decent turbo that will last, seen a few on eBay but am not sure of the best manufacturer.

It looks like the one currently in the van is from POWERTEC.

The only one I have fitted recently was a replacement cartridge to the existing unit which cost around £75 but I see are now around £94 from London.2020 store on eBay, they had 100% feedback and it seems to be working fine on a 2010 Doblo 1.6 fingers crossed.
I did check how the impeller was secured and the retainer was crimped into place.
A few years ago I fitted a customer supplied chinese one which lasted less than a day before the impeller lock nut dropped off and the impeller just spun freely, so no boost.
Sorry that is all the help I can give, maybe others have more advice.:)

Apart from making sure it has a good supply of clean oil getting to it and the return to the sump is clear also.

The only one I have fitted recently was a replacement cartridge to the existing unit which cost around £75 but I see are now around £94 from London.2020 store on eBay, they had 100% feedback and it seems to be working fine on a 2010 Doblo 1.6 fingers crossed.
I did check how the impeller was secured and the retainer was crimped into place.
A few years ago I fitted a customer supplied chinese one which lasted less than a day before the impeller lock nut dropped off and the impeller just spun freely, so no boost.
Sorry that is all the help I can give, maybe others have more advice.:)

Apart from making sure it has a good supply of clean oil getting to it and the return to the sump is clear also.

I was looking at replacing the cartridge, is it difficult to do? I was thinking it would need balancing etc. Turbos still running just whining has a some play I’ll need to check the feeder and return pipes.

I’ve uploaded a video of the turbo play I feel it’s excessive but i’m no expert, sorry it’s not the best quality was videoing for the light more than anything, it’s making the siren noise now 🤦‍♂️

Attachments

• IMG_8618.MOV
    32.9 MB
I was looking at replacing the cartridge, is it difficult to do? I was thinking it would need balancing etc. Turbos still running just whining has a some play I’ll need to check the feeder and return pipes.

I’ve uploaded a video of the turbo play I feel it’s excessive but i’m no expert, sorry it’s not the best quality was videoing for the light more than anything, it’s making the siren noise now 🤦‍♂️
The cartridge I changed recently was on a 100k 2010 Doblo, it wasn't noisy but was leaking a lot of oil past the bearings and smoking a lot. From what I can see of your video there does seem to be a noticeable amount of play and if as you say it is making a noise, it makes sense to change it.
Mine came off fairly easily, I oiled the 8mm spanner size bolts that hold the cartridge in place before gently undoing them, as that was my main concern, having bolts snap off:( . I would say carefully mark it's exact position in relation to the body of the turbo and fit the new one in the same place, having cleaned the surface area so it sits flat and true and also so it aligns with the other pipes etc, there should be a large sealing ring that comes in your kit. Providing it sits in squarely no balancing etc. should be required as that should have been done at the factory. Be careful not to damage the vanes when fitting and make sure it can spin freely without contact on the sides or anywhere else. I also squirted oil in from both ends of the oil ways and spun it by hand to give a good startup lubrication. Prior to installation I poured oil in the return pipe to make sure it wasn't blocked and the oil drained away quickly with no blockages and then put some up the delivery pipe also. Where the old cartridge vanes were rubbing/ making a noise, check no rough marks etc in housing. As I recall the only fiddly bit was getting the bolts into the flanges of the oil ways whilst keeping the correct gaskets in place.
It's not rocket science, however I am speaking after fifty years in the motortrade, not trying to be rude, just if you feel competent, take your time and do a good job, no one is rushing you, take pictures as you go along if that helps :).
It wasn't a problem on my Doblo, but some makes of car have an issue with the oil strainer in the sump blocking and effecting oil pressure to the turbo, so the turbo supplier make a warranty condition that the sump is removed and a new strainer etc. be fitted which would be a right pain if you had to do that.
Personally on older higher mileage diesel vehicles I run engine flush before change oil and filter, though apparently on newer VVT timing setups this is not a good idea.

The cartridge I changed recently was on a 100k 2010 Doblo, it wasn't noisy but was leaking a lot of oil past the bearings and smoking a lot. From what I can see of your video there does seem to be a noticeable amount of play and if as you say it is making a noise, it makes sense to change it.
Mine came off fairly easily, I oiled the 8mm spanner size bolts that hold the cartridge in place before gently undoing them, as that was my main concern, having bolts snap off:( . I would say carefully mark it's exact position in relation to the body of the turbo and fit the new one in the same place, having cleaned the surface area so it sits flat and true and also so it aligns with the other pipes etc, there should be a large sealing ring that comes in your kit. Providing it sits in squarely no balancing etc. should be required as that should have been done at the factory. Be careful not to damage the vanes when fitting and make sure it can spin freely without contact on the sides or anywhere else. I also squirted oil in from both ends of the oil ways and spun it by hand to give a good startup lubrication. Prior to installation I poured oil in the return pipe to make sure it wasn't blocked and the oil drained away quickly with no blockages and then put some up the delivery pipe also. Where the old cartridge vanes were rubbing/ making a noise, check no rough marks etc in housing. As I recall the only fiddly bit was getting the bolts into the flanges of the oil ways whilst keeping the correct gaskets in place.
It's not rocket science, however I am speaking after fifty years in the motortrade, not trying to be rude, just if you feel competent, take your time and do a good job, no one is rushing you, take pictures as you go along if that helps :).
It wasn't a problem on my Doblo, but some makes of car have an issue with the oil strainer in the sump blocking and effecting oil pressure to the turbo, so the turbo supplier make a warranty condition that the sump is removed and a new strainer etc. be fitted which would be a right pain if you had to do that.
Personally on older higher mileage diesel vehicles I run engine flush before change oil and filter, though apparently on newer VVT timing setups this is not a good idea.
Thanks for the information very helpful! Starting to think the tension is worn and on low rpm oil pressure is low which has caused the turbo to fail seems to be common for 1.3s. - I’ll have a look today at the turbo

Thanks for the information very helpful! Starting to think the tension is worn and on low rpm oil pressure is low which has caused the turbo to fail seems to be common for 1.3s. - I’ll have a look today at the turbo
In my experience the timing chain was the main issue with older high mileage 1.3 diesel Multijets and second was the fuel injector seals.
Frequent engine flush, oil and filter changes seem to help longevity as all diesels dirty the engine oil quickly due to higher compression causing more piston "blow by" of combustion gases etc.

Back