Technical generator problem

Currently reading:
Technical generator problem

Hello girls and boys, as i was driving today generator light came on. Check the belt, found it ok and pretended that everything was ok until i got home:D

Following haynes tbs i removed the two wires from the generator, connect them together and measured between them and Gen body or any other ground on the car and i got 4.9V According to haynes i have to check the armature.
Have to say that this voltage is with ignition on but also with the engine run at high or idle speed. So i guess that my generator has no output. Best scenario is worn brushes so what i want to ask is if i have to remove the generator or i just can check them with gen attached to the engine and just remove the pulley and open the brush holder somehow.
Also i have measure battery voltage and it was the same 13.1v with the engine on or off.
I wonder what distance can you cover with the Gen off. I have done around 30 kilometers with it.;)
Thomas

I wouldn't go much further without a generator. You can remove the end cap and replace brushes whilst still attached to the engine, but refitting that end cap will blow your brain :) I did it once but never again. It took many attempts and a lot of cunning.

removed the generator today, not much hard to do actually. Unfortunately like my starter couple of weeks ago field coils insulation found damaged and shorted to dynamo yoke at times plus a cut wire that kill it in the end. Good thing is that generator field coils are also available, so I can repair it. Stator is also in good condition.
Thomas

Attachments

• 20170828_001352.jpg
    20170828_001352.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 32
Back