Technical Generator Light

Currently reading:
Technical Generator Light

1969 500L generator light stays red even when driving. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Can be brushes in generator, but first check voltage at battery and see if actually charging, ideally with engine off around 12.5 volts and when started and revved a bit should see over 13volts on older dynamo systems and around 14.2volts with alternators, also with headlights etc. on it should still show a charge going into battery.

1969 500L generator light stays red even when driving. Any suggestions?

Can be brushes in generator, but first check voltage at battery and see if actually charging, ideally with engine off around 12.5 volts and when started and revved a bit should see over 13volts on older dynamo systems and around 14.2volts with alternators, also with headlights etc. on it should still show a charge going into battery.
Thanks for the response. I did check the battery. With engine off it is at 12.5. When started the meter was jumping all over the place. It wouldn't give me a steady number. I'm going to borrow another meter to be sure it's not defective.

Thanks for the response. I did check the battery. With engine off it is at 12.5. When started the meter was jumping all over the place. It wouldn't give me a steady number. I'm going to borrow another meter to be sure it's not defective.
It could be a faulty regulator box if generator OK.
There are several sites online that can tell you how to do simple tests to prove which is faulty if that is the case.:)

It could be a faulty regulator box if generator OK.
There are several sites online that can tell you how to do simple tests to prove which is faulty if that is the case.:)
Thanks. Any chance you can send me the links to the sites?

Thanks. Any chance you can send me the links to the sites?
A very simple uTube video is this one if your car has a dynamo.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtlrR-WgEyM
The principles are the same for many older vehicles although from memory does your generator run the cooling fan also?
Your set up may not be exactly the same so do any tests at your own risk;).
Also if yours has been modifed to an alternator testing is different.
Other Forum members will be able to give more specific advice re your model , mine is more general.

Back