General gearstick frozen stuck!

Currently reading:
General gearstick frozen stuck!

Yep had exactly the same problem this morning with my MJET GP... this is 3rd day into my first Fiat ownership. I evened phoned recovery but then as the car on idle and warming up it free itself... Going to take it into the Fiat Dealership to get it looked at or greased up at least...

Yep had exactly the same problem this morning with my MJET GP... this is 3rd day into my first Fiat ownership. I evened phoned recovery but then as the car on idle and warming up it free itself... Going to take it into the Fiat Dealership to get it looked at or greased up at least...

my dealer said "new cables" ... i will just wait the 5 mins warming up for it to free :D

Mine did it again yesterday, could only get 1st and 2nd gear, which was a problem as I needed to reverse! It eventually defrosted after a couple of minutes.

It's done this before over the last few weeks due to lower temps!

I don't see the point in going to the dealers when you can wait a few extra minutes for it to defrost!:p

Ok but the transmission oil is going to freeze wether or not the car is under warranty and im pretty sure there's not much the dealers will be able to do! The oil needs warmed up to allow your gears to move smoothly!! my car has been sitting at -17 so if something didn't freeze then i would worry!!?? I'm actually more concerned about my diesel waxing!:(

Right I've been a bit rough with my gears this afternoon after work and have done some damage!! I've broken both cables and also the plastic housing for the gearstick!:cry:

It is getting fixed under warranty but I do admit I've been an idiot in trying to get the car gears defrosted quickly and not allowing to warm up!

As a result I am paying for a courtesy car(panda active) for a fortnight until the parts come from Italy!!

Let the gears defrost properly

You have been warned,

An out of pocket steve119:bang:

Bugger! Gearbox oil should not freeze at that temperature it will however thicken and make it a pain to engage gears. I have had no trouble in my Punto or Coupe even though the Punto has a Grande 1.4 Startjet Gearbox fitted.

Must be a design oversight / fault with the 1.9 ;).

Bugger! Gearbox oil should not freeze at that temperature it will however thicken and make it a pain to engage gears. I have had no trouble in my Punto or Coupe even though the Punto has a Grande 1.4 Startjet Gearbox fitted.

Must be a design oversight / fault with the 1.9 ;).

Well heres the thing Chris, they were saying that it was frozen and I shouldn't of forced it but my counterargument was that it was -15 where I live and it defrosted no problem in the morning but was only -5 in the afternoon when it broke and to be fair the guys at the Elgin fiat branch were absolutely great!

I guess it could be worse, could of been a nissan micra courtesy car!:worship:

Last edited:
Right I've been a bit rough with my gears this afternoon after work and have done some damage!! I've broken both cables and also the plastic housing for the gearstick!:cry:

It is getting fixed under warranty but I do admit I've been an idiot in trying to get the car gears defrosted quickly and not allowing to warm up!

As a result I am paying for a courtesy car(panda active) for a fortnight until the parts come from Italy!!

Let the gears defrost properly

You have been warned,

An out of pocket steve119:bang:
I took my car in for some warranty work about 9 months ago and they tried to give me a panda, I was not impressed! (being 6ft 8) told the sales guy he was having a laugh, he told me im sure you will fit fine. So i tried it to humor him, I got through the door and then wrapped myself around the steering wheel. Literally took up all the space and had 1/3 of the steering wheel to grab that was not surrounded by my knees/legs.

I am glad to say that I said to the sales guy I will be borrowing your grande and you can have this panda for the day!

So I hope that its a quick 2 weeks for the parts, rather than ages!

Last edited:
weve had temperatures of as low as -15C and mines been fine, dont know if the silicone grease has helped, but it hasnt done it since

Any details on where you put the silicone grease and where you could get it? my mjet is doing the same:confused:

hi
is there a certain year of car frozen cables affect??? i have had my grande 06 plate from new 6 speed box ,and was wondering if i'm just lucky as i have never suffered the problem ...is it a issue with all boxes ,or just the 5 speed? or has the supplier cut back on the quality of parts used in the construction of the cables ..or am i just dam lucky ???

Nope because my mjet is an 09 plate with a 6 speed box, but I live in the north of Scotland so will be prone to the colder weather we get up here!;)

I don't know if the mjet 1.6 120 has a different gearbox to the 1.9 though:confused:

Back