Technical Gearbox thinks it's in 1st when in neutral!

Currently reading:
Technical Gearbox thinks it's in 1st when in neutral!

Right - gearbox oil is topped off and car is dropped on one side and the wheel that's off the ground isn't spinning freely despite the gearbox being in 'neutral'.

Previously it was spinning fine so somewhere between me putting the selector box back on and trying out the different gears in the car it's dropped itself back into gear again

I've taken the selector box off again, here are a few photos in case anyone can spot something I've missed

Attachments

• 20230410_142307.jpg
    20230410_142307.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 23
  • 20230410_142259.jpg
    20230410_142259.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 27
  • 20230410_142253.jpg
    20230410_142253.jpg
    976.3 KB · Views: 24
  • 20230410_142246.jpg
    20230410_142246.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 26
  • 20230410_142239.jpg
    20230410_142239.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 26
It all looks correct.

Is the selector block roll pin brand new? If not replace it - they break. it's 4mm diameter. You will need a 3.8mm dia pin punch. Also remove the clip that hides under switch end plastic bush. Note how the shaft and hole align before sliding it out. It's fiddly to reassemble.

When one wheel is raised all power will go to that wheel. It's normal.

Select neutral (all parts in line with cover removed). You should now have a free spinning wheel.

It all looks correct.

Is the selector block roll pin brand new? If not replace it - they break. it's 4mm diameter. You will need a 3.8mm dia pin punch. Also remove the clip that hides under switch end plastic bush. Note how the shaft and hole align before sliding it out. It's fiddly to reassemble.

When one wheel is raised all power will go to that wheel. It's normal.

Select neutral (all parts in line with cover removed). You should now have a free spinning wheel.
Roll pin isn't new but no issue prior to the engine replacement that caused me to remove the selector box in the first place.

All the parts are in line and the wheel doesn't spin freely anymore (one wheel jacked off the ground) - previously it did but since i put the selector box back on and tried out the gears at the stick it's dropped it back out of neutral again somehow.

doesn't look vertical in the photos

with everything lined up the lever at the bottom should be vertical

angles on photos can be deceiving
selector.jpg

Here's a better top down photoView attachment 421227
yep looks great

if you drop that on top of the gearbox (just hand thread a couple of bolts) without moving the lever and the one wheel in the air does not turn and the brakes aren't jammed on, your not going to get very far

what's it look like with the lever all one way and all the other way.

yep looks great

if you drop that on top of the gearbox (just hand thread a couple of bolts) without moving the lever and the one wheel in the air does not turn and the brakes aren't jammed on, your not going to get very far
So yeah, it's back on now, brakes are off, and the wheel that's in the air is still not turning.

What's weird is that this was the case a couple of weeks ago before i took a break from it and when I came back it seemed to have gone into neutral again somehow? And now it's back in gear again?

So yeah, it's back on now, brakes are off, and the wheel that's in the air is still not turning.

What's weird is that this was the case a couple of weeks ago before i took a break from it and when I came back it seemed to have gone into neutral again somehow? And now it's back in gear again?
is acting like post 89 video 1

or is it locked solid

Like post 89 vid 1.
dam doesn't sound good

the edge of these two plates should line up with the edge of the hole (red lines left side) and all four plates should line up (right hand side line)

if its still in gear then we need to work out which gear is stuck, Only 5th would be repairable without dropping the gearbox
selector.jpg

Last edited:
dam doesn't sound good

the edge of these two plates should line up with the edge of the hole (red lines left side) and all four plates should line up (right hand side line)

if its still in gear then we need to work out which gear is stuck, Only 5th would be repairable without dropping the gearbox
So against the better judgement of this forum and on the advice of my dad (who's been helping me through the whole process), I started the car up with the clutch down and used 'neutral' to get her out the garage and uphill onto my driveway.

I also tried (VERY slowly and carefully) changing gears into both first and reverse, and both stalled when I lifted the clutch and gave it a reasonable amount of revs - as though I was trying to move the car from 3rd or 4th gear.

I've since rolled her back into my garage but thought it might be interesting to post this to see if it led to any ideas.

So against the better judgement of this forum and on the advice of my dad (who's been helping me through the whole process), I started the car up with the clutch down and used 'neutral' to get her out the garage and uphill onto my driveway.

I also tried (VERY slowly and carefully) changing gears into both first and reverse, and both stalled when I lifted the clutch and gave it a reasonable amount of revs - as though I was trying to move the car from 3rd or 4th gear.

I've since rolled her back into my garage but thought it might be interesting to post this to see if it led to any ideas.
two gears selected at the same time

gearbox will be locked solid

all the energy from the engine will be trying to rip the gearbox apart

it will not be 5th as you can move the car. Everything else is well buried inside the box

two gears selected at the same time

gearbox will be locked solid

all the energy from the engine will be trying to rip the gearbox apart

it will not be 5th as you can move the car. Everything else is well buried inside the box
There wasn't any weird grinding or crunching sounds, it just acted as though I was trying to move the car on a higher gear than I should have been.

Also if I select a gear (with the gearbox selectors) with one wheel jacked off the ground I get the same result as post 89 vid 1, not the wheels being locked solid or anything.

Automatics in "park" select first and reverse at the same time. The gearbox is locked solid.

Your symptoms sound like two gears are selected (obviously we are guessing with the information given). You need to remove the pressed steel end cover on the gearbox and look inside with small mirror and a torch to see what is going on.

Automatics in "park" select first and reverse at the same time. The gearbox is locked solid.

Your symptoms sound like two gears are selected (obviously we are guessing with the information given). You need to remove the pressed steel end cover on the gearbox and look inside with small mirror and a torch to see what is going on.
It's a manual, not an automatic. If the gearbox was locked solid then the wheels wouldn't move at all, if my understanding is right?

I did try removing the end cover already but couldn't see a whole lot 'inside' the gearbox per this picture:

Screenshot_20230412_135052_YouTube.jpg

Unless you mean i should take the gears and hex bolts off too to have a proper look. At which point I feel I may as well just drop the gearbox and have a really good look at what's going on while it's out in the open.

I fully know it's not an automatic - it was an illustrative point. You car stalls when gears are selected so its locked up.

If the gearbox is locked, you have an internal problem. Either two gears are selected at the same time or maybe something has dropped between gear teeth. Maybe you screwed it up by taking out the wrong bolt. If you undo the end gears you will have an even bigger problem.

You have to decide whether to risk it and get a replacement box if it grinds to death or take it out and remove the clutch end cover to look inside. We can only guess at what we can't see.

I fully know it's not an automatic - it was an illustrative point. You car stalls when gears are selected so its locked up.

If the gearbox is locked, you have an internal problem. Either two gears are selected at the same time or maybe something has dropped between gear teeth. Maybe you screwed it up by taking out the wrong bolt. If you undo the end gears you will have an even bigger problem.

You have to decide whether to risk it and get a replacement box if it grinds to death or take it out and remove the clutch end cover to look inside. We can only guess at what we can't see.
Ah sorry - things get lost in translation over text!

Dropping the gearbox it is then! I won't be able to do that for a bit as I've badly sprained my wrist so can't do much with bolts at the moment but once I've had a look I'll pop an update in here.

I hope your wrist is OK. I bashed my thumb extensor ligament just by the bone. Nothing much. Really? It was three months ago, still painful and weak.

That's not far off what's happened to me, it's the tendon just under my thumb but i keep making it worse by working on the car and training jiu jitsu - I've got it in a splint and got some prescription painkillers/anti-inflammatories so hopefully it'll sort itself out!

Back