Technical Gearbox thinks it's in 1st when in neutral!

Currently reading:
Technical Gearbox thinks it's in 1st when in neutral!

Before removing the gearbox, you really should check that shifter shaft is working correctly and the springs are seated as they should be. As I've said before - the roll pins do fracture. With no pin holding it in place the across gate action will slip . Moving the lever from 1-2 to 3-4 or 3-4 to 5-R won't work properly.
When you say shifter shaft do you mean in the selector box?

Ok - well the problem is that reverse gear is moving freely when I move the mechanism inside the gearbox. The selector box isn't currently on the gearbox so the problem can't be there.

I'm uploading this video again to show what i mean

post 87

is the pin still through the plate. It can come out

reverse does just slide easier than the rest as has no sycro
Looks the same to me

Previously there was a definitive 'shift' or clunk when reverse was engaged but now it just moves completely on its own

Attachments

• 20230409_171556.jpg
    20230409_171556.jpg
    759.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 20230409_171642.jpg
    20230409_171642.jpg
    694.5 KB · Views: 26
I got a closer look at the gear itself and it seems to be moving as expected so maybe everything is ok? 😅

So even though there's no clunk or resistance to the gear moving into place it should be ok?

I guess my worry is if there's no resistance then that gear is just kind of moving freely, and what's to stop it trying to engage when the car is in forward gear?

So even though there's no clunk or resistance to the gear moving into place it should be ok?

I guess my worry is if there's no resistance then that gear is just kind of moving freely, and what's to stop it trying to engage when the car is in forward gear?
the selector mechanism on top of the gearbox

which is why we say its not a good idea to start the car without it in place

you should be able to test each gear and neutral as per my previous video just by jacking one side

the selector mechanism on top of the gearbox

which is why we say its not a good idea to start the car without it in place

you should be able to test each gear and neutral as per my previous video just by jacking one side
Well, I can spin the wheels without turning the engine over now in neutral so that seems like a good first step

Will test the other gears in a moment

Well, I can spin the wheels without turning the engine over now in neutral so that seems like a good first step

Will test the other gears in a moment
spin a wheel

one side has to be locked to test. if you are on you own Otherwise the opposite side will turn the other way

or if there is two of you turning the wheels the same direction

spin a wheel

one side has to be locked to test. if you are on you own Otherwise the opposite side will turn the other way

or if there is two of you turning the wheels the same direction
I'm on my own right now but I can see the alternator belt when i turn the drivers side wheel and it doesn't move when i spin the wheels anymore whereas it did previously

This is being massively over-complicated. Assemble the shifter with new seal, new roll pin and make sure the bush with long ears is coated against the casing. Fit it to the breadbox without sealant (five M8 bolts). Move the levers to check everything works. Remove and refit the cover with sealant, reconnect the cables and take the car for a drive.

If loosening the wrong bolts is a worry remove the gearbox end cover and have a look. You will need working shifters to make sure it's all moving correctly. De-rust and repaint your cover while it's off the car. Then put it back, fill up the gear oil and use the car.

This is being massively over-complicated. Assemble the shifter with new seal, new roll pin and make sure the bush with long ears is coated against the casing. Fit it to the breadbox without sealant (five M8 bolts). Move the levers to check everything works. Remove and refit the cover with sealant, reconnect the cables and take the car for a drive.

If loosening the wrong bolts is a worry remove the gearbox end cover and have a look. You will need working shifters to make sure it's all moving correctly. De-rust and repaint your cover while it's off the car. Then put it back, fill up the gear oil and use the car.
This is where I'm getting confused

A new roll pin would resolve the issue if it was a left-to-right problem if I'm understanding correctly (which isn't the case here)

I've just put the selector box back on and tried a few gears out and now the wheels aren't spinning freely in neutral as they were before (although not turning the engine over from what i can see)

So what would this change?

its not being massively over-complicated.

video post 89 shows its very simple way to check by jacking one side

you can not test easily on you own if both wheel off the ground

This is where I'm getting confused

A new roll pin would resolve the issue if it was a left-to-right problem if I'm understanding correctly (which isn't the case here)

I've just put the selector box back on and tried a few gears out and now the wheels aren't spinning freely in neutral as they were before (although not turning the engine over from what i can see)

So what would this change?
if you take it off when it should be in neutral

gear.png

reconnect the cables and take the car for a drive.
Are you sure

if the selector mechanism is faulty and selecting two gears

expect a very expensive rebuild, at least one bolt and one nut has been mistakenly undone. Part of the selector has already been damaged slightly, Early photo on page one shows the little selector leaver has dropped down and spun round , now sorted hopefully

takes less than 10 seconds to test each gear with one wheel of the ground

Are you sure

if the selector mechanism is faulty and selecting two gears

expect a very expensive rebuild, at least one bolt and one nut has been mistakenly undone. Part of the selector has already been damaged slightly, Early photo on page one shows the little selector leaver has dropped down and spun round , now sorted hopefully

takes less than 10 seconds to test each gear with one wheel of the ground
Good point. Sorry.

If two gears are being selected at the same time there will be no rotation at all. The car would not move. However OP does not have a locked solid gearbox. His problem sounds like improper selection of gear pairs across the gate. He has to confirm the selector block in the top cover is fixed by its roll pin. If it is sliding along the shaft the gears will never select. Also check the two bias springs are correctly seated as that can make selection difficult.

The potentially loose part he mentions somewhere can be checked by removing the gearbox end cover (under the wheel arch) and taking a look.

If he wants to be 100% sure, remove the spark plugs and push the car in every gear with the clutch pedal up.

Good point. Sorry.

If two gears are being selected at the same time there will be no rotation at all. The car would not move. However OP does not have a locked solid gearbox. His problem sounds like improper selection of gear pairs across the gate. He has to confirm the selector block in the top cover is fixed by its roll pin. If it is sliding along the shaft the gears will never select. Also check the two bias springs are correctly seated as that can make selection difficult.

The potentially loose part he mentions somewhere can be checked by removing the gearbox end cover (under the wheel arch) and taking a look.

If he wants to be 100% sure, remove the spark plugs and push the car in every gear with the clutch pedal up.
I'm just out at Halfords grabbing some more gearbox oil so will check this when i get back.

I did have the gearbox end cover off and all looks fine/moving properly so i think all that's left to do now is drop the car down on one side and see what happens.

Back