Technical gearbox on fiat mammy gone

Currently reading:
Technical gearbox on fiat mammy gone

Can be done with basic tools

Correct it’s not complicated

A strong piece of wood across the engine bay and some rope

Two people make lifting it up and down much easier

Done it on my own but the stress levels go up

One known weakness on these gearboxes is the input shaft bearing, so if sourcing a 'box from a scrap car, you might consider replacng this as a precaution whilst you've got it on the bench.
Correct.

If you look at the bell housing and its got no oil

And

You try and wiggle the input shaft from side to side and there is no play

There is a good chance the gearbox will be good

I would just change the three seals as it’s normally lack of oil that kills the box there only a few quid

If the input shaft is leaking or there’s play I would change the bearing also

Our 1.2 had done 80K when the clutch needed replacing. The gearbox input bearing felt good, but the seal was from 2007 so I opened the box and changed it. It was hard so needed to go. My 100HP oiled its new clutch due to that seal failing so don't skimp it.

You have to unbolt the gearbox front cover, and slide it open about 20mm. Now remove the two M8 bolts that retain the reverse gear selector. You can now take off the input end cover and will have access to the seal and bearing. My input bearing was lumpy so had to be changed. When you look at how the bearing is shielded by other parts it's likely there is no oil getting to it - especially from cold starts.

The bearing is cheap but needs a three leg puller with long legs. When re-assembling you have to locate the reverse gear ball joint and refit the M8 bolts. You "can" use RTV sealant but it's likely to be curing before you can close the cover. I used Loctite 518. It's easier to apply and will not cure until the joint is closed.

The six speed box has the same setup, but the bearing is MUCH bigger that clearly has no trouble finding oil. Mine was as good as new.

While the box is off the car, it's wise to change all four seals. Input (x1), outputs (x2) and shifter shaft (x1). The latter can be a considerable source of oil leaks but it can be changed easily enough with box in the car. You need the seal and a roll pin to do the job.

Last edited:
i think its an a reg hachback
A reg? Are we talking about a 2004-2012 Panda 169? Like the one in my profile pic?
unfortunately the gear box has gone, the price is 12 to 15 hundred to replace they said, has any one got a tutorial on how to replace one, by any chance?
Is it manual or automatic? The robotised DuaLogic auto can be expensive to fix and needs an outfit experienced with this transmission.

Otherwise £1200-1500 means they don't want to do the job (unless it's a FIAT main dealer...).

Which is odd. If they can change a clutch they can replace a (manual) gearbox. The 'box needs to come off either way, so just bolt on a replacement. But I'd agree with the above, change the seals and input shaft bearing first.

I found this video (500, but same engine and transmission) helpful when taking my gearbox off for remedials:

A reg? Are we talking about a 2004-2012 Panda 169? Like the one in my profile pic?
I believe it’s on of these

Is it manual or automatic? The robotised DuaLogic auto can be expensive to fix and needs an outfit experienced with this transmission.
Good point specs don’t mention if dualogic was an option

includes air-conditioning, Bluetooth hands-free phone compatibility, a 50/50 split and sliding rear seat with ISOFIX child seat attachments, a height-adjustable driver's seat, a CD and MP3 player

Back