Technical Gearbox drian (Pic inc)

Currently reading:
Technical Gearbox drian (Pic inc)

lee gsi

Which of these 2 plugs are for my gearbox oil?

And what's the other one for?

Thanks

ResizeofDSCF2751.jpg

Hi mate,

If you look at the rear of the box/diff where the gearbox mount is attached to the subframe, you will see the main drain plug for the gearbox/diff oil. If you raise the front of the car slightly it will make sure any crud comes out with the fluid too.

The refill plug is on the front of the box under the battery tray, just behind the rad/intercooler and by the reverse light switch

Hope that helps,
Alan

Last edited:
2 different answers lol

The one next to the rear mount......If I undo that and drain all the oil out does it still take 2 litres in the front fill hole?

Hi mate,

Didnt see the other answer when I posted! or your pic!! lol im blind:eek:

Yea the one at the very rear right next to the mount (just around the back in your pic) is the proper drain hole. If you drain it from there it should take 1.98 litres. So 2 will do it.

The two that are in your pic may well be ok to drain from, but they may also be access points to other bits/shafts.

Alan

red out
blue in

A1ant are you saying its neither of them.

I know the fill point is on the front of the gearbox (Not pictured there)

A1ant are you saying its on the back of the box (oppisite side of the fill point)?

Sorry mate im making a right balls up of explaining.

Fill point. Front of gearbox ie behind the intercooler and rad.

DSC00251.jpg

Drain point, rear of gearbox, next to the rear gearbox mount on the subframe

DSC00250.jpg

EDIT: The one circled in red in the post above is correct! And is the one above.

I thought you were refring to the two plugs on the front corner (ie in blue) lol

Last edited:
I understand now :D

Red is drain plug and the one on the front of the box next to the sensor (Reverse light sensor?) is the fill point.

Will be doing this tomorrow with a long bit of hose and the battery box removed so I can get to it.

Thanks guys

the easiest way to do this is as i have said above ,,, drain out of the rear plug thats lower and fill back up with the one to the left thats slightly higher dont need to go from battery area whatsoever as you simply lay underneath the car and squeeze the bottle hence the reason for them having long spouts on them , as long as the car is level , keeping topping and allowing to settle until the oil level slowly starts to weap back out of the filling hole ,,,, when it weaps back out that is the amount you need , :cry:

drain out of the rear plug thats lower and fill back up with the one to the left thats slightly higher dont need to go from battery area whatsoever as you simply lay underneath the car

So is the front fill and that one at the same level?

If your going to the trouble of draining it you might aswell do itproperly and replace all of it with nice fresh oil.

I am just off outside to do mine now :D

the oil Ive bought is only 1litre can I drain out 1 litre then fill back up or best to go buy another litre before I do anything?

If yours is the 1.2 8v as in your sig, then it takes less than the JTD that the OP has. IIrc its around 1.5/1.6 litres..

The JTD and HGT take 1.9 litres.

So is the front fill and that one at the same level?

The side one is lower than the one at the front that I have posted a picture of. Hence why I think you'd struggle to get 2 lites in using that one. (again i'm referring to the JTD/HGT here)

Whenever I do gearbox oil on JTD/HGT's I always do it to the base of the front fill plug.

Happy to be proved wrong though.

Also, when putting the plugs back in, don't do them up too tight as you can crack the casing if you go nuts.

Alan

All done.

Drained out the lowest hole and to refill I used the front hole (Not in my Picture). Both my fill and drain were 12mm Hex if anyone needs to know.

I used a funnel and about 1 1/2 foot of hose pipe and fed it down into the hole.

Just taken it for a test run and all is good (y)

Thanks for the help guys.

Oh and I took a picture from the front corner showing the difference in height and I will also mark it with drain and fill for anyone else that needs the info (On a JTD).

Attachments

• Resize of Punto drain and fill.jpg
    Resize of Punto drain and fill.jpg
    587.6 KB · Views: 510
Last edited:
Feel free for a moderator to use it in a guide or any thing.

The question gets asked quite a bit and there are never any pictures showing what plug is what so thought I would mark one up :D

Back