Gear knob and handbreak replacement

Currently reading:
Gear knob and handbreak replacement

W

Wiggy

I am looking at replacing my handbreak grip and gear knob with silver / carbon fiber look. Just had a look in the car. How do you get the origional grip on the handbreak off so that I can put the new one on? Also when I get the gear knob how do I best remove the old one and attatch the new one?

Wiggy

the hand brake i dont know how to get off as i have never changed it, the sear nob, just pulls off with a little force, but first of all u have to remove the clips on the gator. hope this helps, also there is another tops a couple of days old now u might find hand brake on that..

lee

Re: Re: Gear knob and handbreak replacement

you need to cut the handbrake rubber handla along the top of it and split it. Momo do a good replacement handla for about £50

Tafi

Re: Re: Re: Gear knob and handbreak replacement

I went the cheap way and got a rip speed one for £25. So once I have cut down the middle (the seam in the rubber on the top). Will it just peal off or is the rest of it stuck on.

Also the gear knob how to I remove the gator from the stick?

Wiggy

Re: Re: Re: Re: Gear knob and handbreak replacement

disconnect the gator from the dash (big end) kust prise it off, if u pull it over the gear nob so its is in side out, there is a plastic clip holding it, undo it and then slide back down to normal postion and remove gearnob

lee

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Gear knob and handbreak replacement

When you remove the rubber off the handbrake, where do you affix the new handbrake gaitor as the plastic one just sat under the plastic centre piece.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Gear knob and handbreak replacement

pass never seen the plastic 1 i got a leather 1, maybe try going to the scrap yard and getting the leather gator maybe u can remover the leather put urs on it in stead and adapted it to fit the hole as i believe its only a frame with some clips, i can check for u at 12 ish to make sure but i am busy at the moment

Lee

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Gear knob and handbreak replacement

thanks for the advice all.

Wiggy

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Gear knob and handbreak replacement

thanks for the advice all.

Wiggy

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Gear knob and handbreak replacement

Wiggy the ripspeed ones don't fit thats why momo one are recomended, the shaft is too small, so don't cut your handle until you get one that fits, i made the same mistake

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Gear knob and handbreak replacement

where do i get the momo one from then?? or one that fits.

Wiggy

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Gear knob and handbreak replacement

any good halfords store

Tafi

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Gear knob and handbreak replacement

where do you find a 'good' halfords store? lol

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Gear knob and handbreak replacement

I will have a look tomorrow night and compare the thickness of the one that I have and the momo one if there is one in.