Technical gear change

Currently reading:
Technical gear change

just had my clutch and gearbox oil changed and the clutch is so light, 100 times better than before, however since its been done, ive still noticed putting it into 1st is a little stiff, it doesnt happen all the time and when its not stiff, its perfectly smooth. just wondering what it could be and if there is anything i can do to help it - i really cant afford to replace the gearbox so is there anything else i can do?

Its probably just the stiff oil making the synchro stick so a gearbox oil change might help. Select 2nd then push it straight through to 1st.

I wouldn't worry too much and with any gearbox its always better to match the revs on each gearshift though of course that's not possible from neutral into 1st.

2nd for some reason is often easier to select from neutral so select 2nd and push straight through to 1st.

so will it damage the gearbox at all? seems to stick more as im pulling up at a junction or set of lights, would it have anything to do with my driving style? i tend to put it into 1st just b4 i stop. is there any ways to test the gearbox/linkage or anything else to fault find without ripping the box apart? limited on time and money, and know f-all about this sort of thing.
i worry partially as after knowing how the new clutch feels (and the fact the oil filter had rusted through from car not being serviced for so long) the clutch was stiff since i got the car 3 months ago and thinking she has not been well looked after for so long and cant afford to fork out for replacement parts like a gearbox. ive only had my licence for 8 months now so limited on experience on what these things should feel like until there appears to be an obvious fault.

hope i made sense then. lol

Dont habitually select 1st while moving as that really hammers the synchromesh. Slow down in 2nd and dip the clutch just before you stop. Select 1st to pull away. The only time you should need to select 1st while moving is on a very steep hill (stalling in 2nd) or in very slow traffic.

Its telling you to stop doing it because the habit is over-working the synchro.

It should be OK but it wont improve with time. Just stop selecting first while the car is moving - 95% of the time there really is no need and it stresses the gearbox.

My first car was made with synchro on 2nd, 3rd and 4th so habits like that were not an option. :)

My bikes dont have synchro on any gear and they have a sequential action so you cant just knock into neutral from any gear.

When its cold the gearbox oil will have a higher viscosity, that and its a small car gearbox...

try taking the handbrake off and let the car roll a little as your putting it in gear and it should select smoothly as you've noticed on some occasions. I somtimes have to get reverse and rock the car to get first...

All your trying to do is line the gearbox up better so your reducing wear on the 'box, it should sort itself out when its fully warm after a good run.

When its cold the gearbox oil will have a higher viscosity, that and its a small car gearbox...

try taking the handbrake off and let the car roll a little as your putting it in gear and it should select smoothly as you've noticed on some occasions. I somtimes have to get reverse and rock the car to get first...

All your trying to do is line the gearbox up better so your reducing wear on the 'box, it should sort itself out when its fully warm after a good run.
prob i got is i do quite a few "short" runs. 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears seem to have the resistance, in that order too (obviously due to use and wear) its not hard to put it into gear as such but there is a slight battle and feels kinda dry to change even after gearbox oil change. it happens changing up and down but is less problematic when the car has warmed up. just trying to problem find so i can look at dealing with it - hopefully without changing the gearbox as im quite frankly, skint. :(

Back