General Garrett Turbo on Evo

Currently reading:
General Garrett Turbo on Evo

Just to jump in, In regards to re-map for anyone interested www.tmcmotorsport.com offer an tuning box compatible with the Evo Multi-Airs :) Here my original email:-

"Good Afternoon, Im a member of fiatforum.com and wondered if there is/or to be a tuning box for the new Fiat Punto Evo Sporting 135HP? With the engines being a Multiair ive not seen products available as of yet."
Reply:-
"Hi, we have tested the box on the new Punto Abarth Multi Air and it works superbly. It will also work fine on yours.
Kind regards / Daron
TMC Motorsport"

GOOD NEWS :) This was also back in August 1st

:woot::woot:

Just checked & the TMC tuning box brings the Sportiing up to 162BHP & 246NM :devil:
Not bad pretty much spot on with the Evo Abarth. (y)

Just got to save up £300! :cry:

Theres no reason for it not to work, Give them a email? There very friendly and reply usually within hours. I see them mentioned on here quite alot, Something I`ll be looking into if i ever get my bleeding car!

Just checked & the TMC tuning box brings the Sportiing up to 162BHP & 246NM :devil:
Not bad pretty much spot on with the Evo Abarth. (y)

Just got to save up £300! :cry:

I'm sure I'll be spending £90 at TMC sooner or later to pick up a box that will perk the multijet up a bit! Thats got to be one of the cheapest ways to add nearly 20 horses to a car! :yum: Of course it will need to be 'invisible' and fully reversable as i dont think the lease company will be approving this mod anytime soon...

Hi, many in this post have asked about which turbos are on which models, basically all Tjets up to 2010 in standard form run IHI RF3 turbos, this is quite a small turbo with limited increase possibilities due to its size. The Abarths run these IHI turbos as well. As part of the SS conversion (Grande Punto only not A500) the turbo was changed to the Garrett 1446 which is slightly larger and capable of running higher boost pressure comfortably but does not fit on the same manifold as the IHI so manifold and oil and water feeds are changed along with heat shield, intake pipes, cat ,downpipe and injectors and fuel rail as well as some engine sensors. Fiat have obviously decided now that this turbo allows more flexibility for increased power so have fitted the Garrett standard on the Abarth Evo Multi Air, i'm sure it will be fitted to other models soon. Hope this helps.

Ah... "TMC Motorsport" do fiat forum users by any small chance get a discount on tuning boxes? :D
Or am I pushing it?!:peace:

Hi, of course your not pushing it, I have offers on the website at the moment so until end of Oct i'll offer the single channel adjustable kit to forum members at £90 delivered first class recorded, this is a really good deal for a digital unit, fits all 1.3/1.6/1.9/2.0 Jtd and Jtdm models. Results with this unit are great.
Thanks
Daron

Hi, of course your not pushing it, I have offers on the website at the moment so until end of Oct i'll offer the single channel adjustable kit to forum members at £90 delivered first class recorded, this is a really good deal for a digital unit, fits all 1.3/1.6/1.9/2.0 Jtd and Jtdm models. Results with this unit are great.
Thanks
Daron
Any deals on the Tuning box for the Evo Sporting 1.4 MultiAir 135BHP???

The turbo on the multiair is the same as the essesse grande abarth but is the manifold the same as the t-jet essesse manifold?

The standard Evo Multiair turbo has smaller turbo as used on non-Evo Abarth GPs.

Abarth Evo has the bigger Garratt turbo. The Abarth Evo EsseEsse therefore does too. Of the non-Evo GP's, only the Abarth EsseEsse has this turbo.

What manifold you have is only determined by which of the two turbo designs you have, not which car or engine spec otherwise. The Multiair head is a modification of the conventional head and retains most of it's external dimensions, including stud patterns. All heads/manifolds are interchangeable with each other with supporting mods.

Ah, so the sporting has a smaller turbo to the Abarth. I'm guessing then in order to get comparable power (as the TMC box does) the smaller turbo is going to be pretty much maxed out.

I believe its only a smaller turbo in comparison to the Evo Abarth, and is of a similar size to the standard Grande Abarth.
Best point to note is that its a Garrett on the Evo Sporting (and Evo Abarth) which is a top class turbo.

I'm thinking how hard it has to work (and reduced life) if I decide on a TMC box. Garretts have always been good, my previous car (Nissan 200sx) was producing 296bhp with a Garrett T28 and had done a very reliable 115k miles when I sold it and it still hasn't missed a beat. That was pretty much the limit for a stock T28 though.

Last edited:
I'm thinking how hard it has to work (and reduced life) if I decide on a TMC box. Garretts have always been good, my previous car (Nissan 200sx) was producing 296bhp with a Garrett T28 and had done a very reliable 115k miles when I sold it and it still hasn't missed a beat. That was pretty much the limit for a stock T28 though.

I have my box set on a slightly lower power setting than the factory level which now in theory has the car producing a similar power output as the Grande Abarth. I don’t by any means work my car hard or do a high mileage so for me it’s safe and I haven’t had any issues relating to the box or turbo. Something to remember though if you are considering the TMC box is you are advised to use the higher octane petrols to help protect the engine (Tesco’s version is the best value).

The standard Evo Multiair turbo has smaller turbo as used on non-Evo Abarth GPs.

Abarth Evo has the bigger Garratt turbo. The Abarth Evo EsseEsse therefore does too. Of the non-Evo GP's, only the Abarth EsseEsse has this turbo.

What manifold you have is only determined by which of the two turbo designs you have, not which car or engine spec otherwise. The Multiair head is a modification of the conventional head and retains most of it's external dimensions, including stud patterns. All heads/manifolds are interchangeable with each other with supporting mods.

I am afraid that I have pedalled an untruth a bit here.

The smaller turbo on MultiAirs is a small turbine Garratt as TJ07 mentioned, not the same IHI as used on earlier non-MultiAir engines. So substitute that into the first sentence of the original quote. The rest holds fast. The two basic manifold designs are Garratt or IHI and are interchangeable between spec levels of turbo.

I know I'm asking a lot, are the injectors and fuel pump the same between the sporting and Abarth?

Back