Fuel Tank

Currently reading:
Fuel Tank

Right need some help here, my car had an unfortunate accident yesterday, it slipped off the Axle Stands, and burst the Fuel Tank!!

I've bought a new one off Fleebay which won't be here untill Wednesday while I'm on holiday!!
Basically I need to know how easy or how hard it's gonna be to remove an fit the new one!!!

Mark! Steve M! Ming! David! HELP!!!!!!!!

vader-fail.jpg

Oh me Andi!!!

if you have the tools and can get access to the tank comfortabley, it's just a case of removing the sensor through the diamond hatch in the car, removing the lines then unbolting the tank AFAIK.

have to say though, how the hell did you manage to get it to slip off axel stands? it obviously wasn't on them correctly or on suitable ground. safety always has to be paramount when working on or under cars, that's a situation that should never have arisen IMO.

Mrcento said:
if you have the tools and can get access to the tank comfortabley, it's just a case of removing the sensor through the diamond hatch in the car, removing the lines then unbolting the tank AFAIK.

have to say though, how the hell did you manage to get it to slip off axel stands? it obviously wasn't on them correctly or on suitable ground. safety always has to be paramount when working on or under cars, that's a situation that should never have arisen IMO.

F*** knows how it fell Mark! I'd re positioned 1 about 5mins before it happened, I'd been tightening the handbrake as I was going to try and get it mot'd nxt week (Mum & Step-Dad go down in 2 cars to the Garage) and I was just leaning in to pull the handbrake on so I could put the wheels bak on and lower it back down, and next thing I know the car's slipped off the Axle stands, 1 made 2 holes in the tank (N/S) and the other broke the filler neck pipe!! Think it was a warning that A) The Axle stands were needing to be replaced and B) The Car wouldn't have got through an Mot anyway as I think it had a fuel leek, hence why it always stank of petrol and I wasn't getting the milage I wanted, as I was filling it up every week!! So Step-Dad's gonna buy new axle stands, then when I'm out of Hospital after having an op and able to get back under the car we'll be putting the new tank in!!

Edit: What and where is the Dimond Hatch Mark?!?!

fold up the base of the rear seat, you'll see a silver diamond shaped panel held on by 4 bolts. under that is the fuel tank sender unit.

a car should never be able to slip off axel stands, they don't just slip because of freak incidents, you were either working on unsuitable ground, never had the car in gear/chocked or never had the stands positioned correctly.

if the stands were at all dodgy, you should never have used them.

either way, NEVER work under a car that's not secured properly on stands, i can't emphasise just how dangerous that is, and how lucky you are not to at very least have a broken arm or worse.

Mrcento said:
fold up the base of the rear seat, you'll see a silver diamond shaped panel held on by 4 bolts. under that is the fuel tank sender unit.

a car should never be able to slip off axel stands, they don't just slip because of freak incidents, you were either working on unsuitable ground, never had the car in gear/chocked or never had the stands positioned correctly.

if the stands were at all dodgy, you should never have used them.

either way, NEVER work under a car that's not secured properly on stands, i can't emphasise just how dangerous that is, and how lucky you are not to at very least have a broken arm or worse.

Don't know but anyway main thing is no one got injured!! Cheers for the info Mark!! how to drain half a tank of fuel in 5minutes!!!!

aye get the diamond hatch open and pop the sender unit off. get someone else to put it on new axelstands possitioned correctly on level ground get under the car with the wheels and some bricks along the side sills JUST INCASE! :p and just unbolt the tank. prettty easy imo...

does the new tank come with pump filter ect? if not recon its worth swapping while your there as the filter is non servicable but worth doing if your fitting a new tank tbh.

oh and my mrs said how can you do that? even she has jacked and axel standed my car :p. what points were you using???

i always put mine on the point at the rear.... the only way i can see it of ending up under the tank the car HAD to have rolled forward dropping the tank down onto the fell over stand... definatly needed to be chocked and in gear

glad your ok though andi but it is a silly dangerous mistake.

The stands were on part of the rear arm just foward of the suspension! I didn't have it in gear as it's easier to jack in in Neuteral, but the N/S/F wheel was chocked with a brick, and the car slipped backwards and as it fell the Axle Stand at the N/S caught the tank and made 2 holes, 1 is about 2cm across the other is about 1-2mm more of a rip than a hole!

As for Filter I don't think it comes with a new filter so I have put a parts request in on 24-7spares, and we are thinking about having the car up on 4 Stands, just for Saftey and makes the job easier! I have declared the car SORN (Statatoury Off Road Notice) so even though the Tax expires at the end of the month I don't have to worry, so when I'm given the all clear by the hospital I can start work on the car again!! Thank god we have 2 Trolley jacks 1 at 2tonne lift and the other 2.25 tons lift, the second jack was a birthday present for my Step-dad and just as well we had it as it can lift the car higher than the old 3tonne lift sitting in the garage and higher than the 2tonne lift, but both jacks and a fence post were used to lift the car back off the ground, and the Drums are fine Steve!

Thing is I repositiend the N/S one as it wasn't really holding the car, which never occerd to me when I was laying underneath it :blink:, so jacked it back up, moved the stnads slightly, fiddled with the handbrake cable, tested the handbrake, all ok then, went to just pull the lever again and before I could even stop it, the car roled back off the stands and knocked the filler hose, then all I saw was petrol leaking out from the other side, ran round tothe back garden, grabbed the bag of sand, ran back to the drive and poured the whole bag down to soakup the fuel! then got the car lifted again with the Fence post under the rear arm at the O/S, got the big jack (2.25ton lift) between the 2 arms and lifted the car up!

clearly the rear arm is not a jacking point! there is a designated jacking point ont he chasais of your vehicle.... use that or dont jack... im sorry if i sound harsh but you were VERY lucky a car jacked up on a suspension arm and in neutral...... seriously???

this is how i would do it. probably not the best but ive never had a incident.... use the fiat jack to get the car off the floor. use the trolly jack on the bottom of the rear shocker(make sure its propperly in place) and lift just highenough to get the axel stand under the jacking point (looks like a circle raised out underneath just rear to the jacking point for the fiat jack.... for me it only needed a extra 1-2 inches) once the axel stand is inplace lower the car onto it. but if you have two jacks id say keep abit of tention also on the bottom of the shockabsorber...... saftey first and all that. do this on both sides always keep it symetrical you will then have two axel stands on the chasais and two supporting alittle of the weight on the shockers (although they arnt needed and can be removed) if wheels are removed place them under the sills make sure the front is chocked both infront and behind the wheels and its in gear... usually 1st.

sorry again if i sound like im taking the **** but anyone else reading this can also use this info and im just glad you wernt hurt fella. take it easy and work on your car safely thanks :)

Photobucket

Clock34 said:
you were VERY lucky a car jacked up on a suspension arm and in neutral...... seriously???

put it this way, if i was working on a car with someone and they did that, i would be telling them to f off and never come and "help" again

im very strict when it comes to safety working on cars. complacency is what leads to serious or perhaps even fatal accidents, the minute you think "that'll do" on a safety matter is the minute you shouldn't be near the damn thing IMO.

To get back on topic, I hope you are remembering a daily dose of Plus Gas on the bolts while waiting for the all clear to get underneath.

Once the car is on axle stands grab it and give it a damn good shoogle so that if its not right you know about it before venturing underneath. I'd do the job from the offside with the nearside wheels still on the ground. The axle stand can then go on the chassis rail.

Cheers

D

Glad no one was hurt during the incident, sounds like a seriously lucky escape for you Andi.

Personally whenever I jack up the Stilo I always put the axle stands at the jacking points. Even then though I'm nervous about getting under the car - wish I had one of those proper garage lifts or a pit to work in.

Steve! I only put the jacks under the rear arm after it had fallen, when I jacked it up before I used the small bar between the Rear Arms as the jack fits on there and I have had it jacked up no there before with NO problems, and my Step- Dad and I are going to buy new Axel Stands today!

David! We don't have Plus Gas and I was on holiday last week so I've not really had much time to think about the car, I've got a new Tank, just need filler neck hose and pos fuel pump and again pos fuel lines!

Rob! Thankfully no one got hurt (just the car), and your not the only one who would like a 2 Poster Ramp to put the car on!!!!

Back