How To Fit Custom Oil Catch Tank

Currently reading:
How To Fit Custom Oil Catch Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

Iam not to sure that this is a guide in the general sense but it will give you the fundamental idea of what an oil catch tank does and how i fitted mine to my Fiat Cinquecento Fire Sporting 1108cc,

The oil catch tank will help keep the engine cleaner by catching oil and moisture from the crank case breather which can cause sludge and carbon build-up in the intake system and engine if a tank is not fitted,

They are normally mostly only used on aspirated engines but they are still beneficial in a none aspirated engine like the 1108cc Fire especially when being driven hard or used for track use,

I know this as i have seen oil and even moisture in the pipe that runs from my engines oil breather pipe to my induction kit which if left would have been getting recycled through my inlet system which can cause sludge and carbon build up so i fitted this Oil Catch Tank below,

OilCatchTank002.jpg

You can still fit an oil catch even though you still have the stock air box fitted but its not going to be the same as what Ive done as i no longer have a stock air filter box fitted,i have now got a focus induction kit fitted like below,

OilCatchTankFitted002.jpg

What i done to mount this tank was use an existing bracket that was a part of the old air filter box but because it was still fitted i was able to use it to mount the oil catch tank but there is no reason why you cant mount your tank where ever suits yourself and you have space to do so and be able to drain it with ease,

All i had to do to fit this tank was drill 2 extra holes into this bracket and place another 90 degree bend into the mounting bracket that was sold with this kit but that's all i needed to do to get this catch tank to fit,

You will see below a pic of the oil air filter box bracket and Ive marked it for drilling the 2 holes so you can bolt the catch tanks bracket to it like below

Marked & Ready For Drilling

OilCatchTank008.jpg

Drilled primed and painted

OilCatchTankBracket111.jpg

OilCatchTankBracket110.jpg

You will see bolted to the oil catch tank itself there is a bracket that comes with the tank but what i have done is bend another 90 degree bend into the bracket so it can then be bolted to the old air filter bracket,

Bracket With Only 1 x 90 degree Bend below

OilCatchTank002.jpg

Bracket Now Fitted To Oil Catch Tank With 2 x 90 degree Bends

OilCatchTank007.jpg

Then i bolted the oil air filter bracket back in place with the new oil catch bolted to it ,then all i had left to do was connect the hoses, one from the oil breather to the the oil catch tank then the other from the oil catch tank to the induction kit like below,

OilCatchTankFitted001.jpg

OilCatchTankFitted002.jpg

You will also see fitted to this catch tank an oil drain plug and spy glass so you can see when it needs draining and can be drained easily,

OilCatchTank005.jpg

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OIL-CATCH...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5192e29e4e

Hope this helps,

For any further assistance relating to this guide please post in Fiatscotland's Technical section for further assistance!

All the best Scuderia

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back