Technical fuel tank changed but it wont start?

Currently reading:
Technical fuel tank changed but it wont start?

sammy1989

Hi ya, my cinquecento sporting 1997 failed the MOT because of a leaking fuel tank,so i brought a fuel tank from a fiat sciento 2001 as its the same, its on the car and the pump is working but it just wont start?, iv checked the spark plugs n they are fine.
We had to disconnect the battery as i had to have some welding done,
Please could you shine a light on my problem

From
upset cinquecento lover sammy xx

only thing i can think of that can stop it from starting fuel wise is that there is a trip switch or something under the dashboard

the button is under the dashboard pretty much in the middle under a black cover , you will need to take it off to get access to the button

not sure if it will work but give it a go

im sure some of the more experienced people on here should know :)

Ok hun thank u ill give it a try, iv noticed your not far from me lol,
what if that doesnt work?
xx:confused:

yeah all the wires are the right way round m8, but it wont start im well upset please help? :(

have you changed/removed the pump or the fuel filter as the fuel filter on the 2001 tank is housed within the pump and the fuel filter on the 2001 tank isnt compatible with your car

Last edited:
i dont get what ur goin on about m8, my father in law has fitted the new tank, im a student n really need the car on the road is there any thing else i can do?:(

The 2001 fuel tank will be from an MPI car

Your car is a SPI. Therefore its a different fuel system setup

Although the tank physically fits, you need to remove/change the pumps over and the sender unit over, so the fuel pump/filter etc that was a part of your leaky tank needs to be fitted to the 2001 tank

If you have just fitted the tank straight in and not changed anything it wont work. I suggest you check that the pump and sender unit were changed over, if they havent then its a possibility that this is your problem

Last edited:
have you changed/removed the pump or the fuel filter as the fuel filter on the 2001 tank is housed within the pump and the fuel filter on the 2001 tank isnt compatible with your car
r u sure hun, because im really freaking out now, cant u run a scenito fuel tank in a cinquecento? if u can then please could you help me?

r u sure hun, because im really freaking out now, cant u run a scenito fuel tank in a cinquecento? if u can then please could you help me?

you can run a seicento tank in a cinquecento as they are the same, its the pump, filters and everything else that has differences. They are definately different fuel systems though

Its not a difficult job to turn everything around so no need to get freaked out, i suggest you read my previous post and check with father in law etc

Last edited:
Thank for your help, iv shown my father in law the posts that you have put on, n he said that you are right, but the fuel pumps are not inchangable, so we going to put the scentio fuel tank on ebay, and we are goin to the scrap yard tomorrow to get another cinquecento fuel tank. are the sportings fuel tanks and normal cinquecento fuel tanks the same? lv sammy xx

There are two types of Cinq tanks, the fillers are in different places.

Early SPi Seis will have the same tank as a 97 Cinq.

Try and find one thats had a recent tank change, most Centos in scrappies wll have crusty tanks.

Why not use your forum discount to get a new one?

Cheers

SPD

Back