Technical Fuel Smell

Currently reading:
Technical Fuel Smell

Hi,
I was lucky enough to have a chat with my friend who gave me the Barchetta and he gave me a clue as to when the fuel smell started as detailed in this thread:
I'll update that thread shortly but in summary, the mechanic who fitted the new fuel pump broke two studs putting it in and, I strongly suspect, never really got the gasket to sit properly around the pump.
A mate and I spent quite a while getting the new fuel pump gasket to sit correctly with the pump in place but got there in the end.
However, the B is SORN for the winter and so we await the spring before we know whether we've made things any better. Fingers crossed until then.

Getting the tank out was fairly strightforward, it was better to have an extra pair of hands, I followed the instructions on the forum, just make sure you have some replacement hose clips ready for reinstallation.

I did speak to someone from the B owners club at Brands Hatch and he told me of an owner who had spend a lot of money trying to get rid of his fuel smell without success. I guess if you're paying a garage to 'try things' then the labour cost of tank in and tank out repeatedly will add up. Doing the work yourself helps with that.
Good luck, your plan seems sensible to me
Chris

Hi,
I was lucky enough to have a chat with my friend who gave me the Barchetta and he gave me a clue as to when the fuel smell started as detailed in this thread:
I'll update that thread shortly but in summary, the mechanic who fitted the new fuel pump broke two studs putting it in and, I strongly suspect, never really got the gasket to sit properly around the pump.
A mate and I spent quite a while getting the new fuel pump gasket to sit correctly with the pump in place but got there in the end.
However, the B is SORN for the winter and so we await the spring before we know whether we've made things any better. Fingers crossed until then.

Getting the tank out was fairly strightforward, it was better to have an extra pair of hands, I followed the instructions on the forum, just make sure you have some replacement hose clips ready for reinstallation.

I did speak to someone from the B owners club at Brands Hatch and he told me of an owner who had spend a lot of money trying to get rid of his fuel smell without success. I guess if you're paying a garage to 'try things' then the labour cost of tank in and tank out repeatedly will add up. Doing the work yourself helps with that.
Good luck, your plan seems sensible to me
Chris
Hi Chris,
I saw your thread about the broken studs, not an easy thing to fix! I hope its all ok in the spring 🤞

I find old cars and garages are not a good mix generally, had some unfortunate outcomes in recent years. It's far more satisfying to get hands on yourself if you are able too.

I will update the thread with anything useful I find on the fuel smell conundrum
Cheers
Simon

Hi, my fuel smell stopped after I replaced the two valve seals. No other work was needed. When I the fuel cap after a drive, it hisses to release the pressure built up in the tank so all seals good. Regards.

Hi, my fuel smell stopped after I replaced the two valve seals. No other work was needed. When I the fuel cap after a drive, it hisses to release the pressure built up in the tank so all seals good. Regards.
Thanks StevePD, glad to hear your fix worked.
I have seen a few threads and posts where people can’t seem to resolve the issue.
It’s good to know it can be sorted successfully
Cheers Simon

Back