Technical Fuel filter blocked!!

Currently reading:
Technical Fuel filter blocked!!

Juan500

Can someone Please help me I can’t find the fuel filter on a 2016 Fiat 500L 1.4 petrol
Evertime I google it only comes up with 500 I should have never bought such a stupid car!!
It’s a nightmare even finding brake pads for this car.

Can someone Please help me I can’t find the fuel filter on a 2016 Fiat 500L 1.4 petrol
Evertime I google it only comes up with 500 I should have never bought such a stupid car!!
It’s a nightmare even finding brake pads for this car.
A lot of modern petrol engine cars only have a fine gauze fuel filter in the top of the fuel tank built around the fuel level sensor and fuel flow and return pickups.
If yours is one of those you often find under the rear seat a a cover held down with screws or similar and below it a large unit in the top of fuel tank held down with a large plastic ring/nut.
Generally speaking unless you have a problem they don't often need to be disturbed.
Something like this.
1672646147756.png

Hi many thanks... I will have a look.. the car has a slight hold back,, as if the brakes are sometimes jammed but not a braking issue, definitely fuel related!! Slight jerk.. at 81000km 4 valves were bent and almost ran out of oil!! It literally disappeared and I check my oil every week.
Also have changed front brake pads 4 times now I’m not sure if anyone else’s 500L is so heavy on pads.

Hi :)

Owners of the 2 door 500 often appear on here needing brakes at a similar frequency... some of this is thought to be due to corrosion of discs in the Damp UK climate

Weird as my 2012 punto is all original and covered 70k in miles..so more than your 500l

No idea what engine you have.. but bent valves suggests a chain..or belt failure?

Hi :)

Owners of the 2 door 500 often appear on here needing brakes at a similar frequency... some of this is thought to be due to corrosion of discs in the Damp UK climate

Weird as my 2012 punto is all original and covered 70k in miles..so more than your 500l

No idea what engine you have.. but bent valves suggests a chain..or belt failure?
Hi 👋🏻 Like I said worst car ever and I’ve owned many Fiats best was a little 500 1.2 excellent car never had to replace brakes and it sold just after 2 days!! I am looking at upgrading to a 1.6 multi jet but am very nervous I think I should sell and just use my little Panda 4x4

o_O Oh no. Take my advice and buy a japanese car with a timing chain. They never fail. Fiats aren't your cup of tea.

o_O Oh no. Take my advice and buy a japanese car with a timing chain. They never fail. Fiats aren't your cup of tea.
Having worked at a Mazda dealership as a foreman in the 1970s I would say bo**cks yo that statement ;). In the service bulletins on Mazda 1000,1300 and 818s they went from single row chains to double row, 5 tooth ratchet tensioners to 7 tooth and finally hydraulic 7 tooth ratchet hydraulic tensioners. This was at the same time as I was having to rebuild Mazda RX3 Rotary engines with side seal failures (similar to a head gasket issue pressurising the coolant etc) :).
I think it is the same with most makes that are generally reliable , a dealer workshop sees the worst of that range! Having said that I thought the Mazda 818 Coupe was a pretty little car and if I could buy a clean one on my price range I would.

I worked a short while at Mazda in the 80s and the workshop had at least three ‘dead’ cars in their at all times…may have been a good warranty for the time, but you needed it

I worked a short while at Mazda in the 80s and the workshop had at least three ‘dead’ cars in their at all times…may have been a good warranty for the time, but you needed it
I left in 1982 to work for myself, surprisingly I found it much less stressful and more rewarding.
Having said what I did about Mazda we were a multi franchise Mazda, Moskvich , Lada and Wartburg, so plenty of variety plus every other make customers brought in, even the original old Rover 75s etc with 14,000 from new from the mid 1950s as the garage was agents for them at the time and the old customers still brought them in.
The Madza pre delivery inspection was almost a box ticking exercise as they came well prepared, apart from one 929 I recall that had a very heavy door from waxoling to much, sealing the drain holes the door was filled with rain water .
The Moskvich would take two days to make safe enough to drive, on a road test it could brake violently to the right, another 100 yards and it would do the same to the left, due to the slave labour leaving all the cast iron grinding dust in the brake drums, plus loads of other defects, the Wartburgs were quite well engineered, but were dying off due to oil in fuel two stroke emissions, then there was the Ladas (Fiat 124? ish) we used to set up the castor, camber and wheel wheel alignment etc. via shims on the lower wishbone due to tyres wearing out in 600 miles in some cases, we used to joke the female drivers had arms like Russian shot putters, no power steering of course.
So in order of quality I would have said Mazda, Wartburg, Lada then Moskvitch way down.

To be honest, about all cars, and my particular bias, I’ve worked in Italian, German, Japanese, French, American and British (only LR) and they have all had their weekspots, BMWs with rusty rear 3/4s and early electronics issues
VWs whose build quality really DIDNT justify the price, especially the cheaper ones (so buy a seat or Skoda) and, although exterior door and seat trims looked good, you needed chain mail to work on them…as for auto boxes, changed like normal cars go through brake pads
Mazda, as above, gearboxes that locked, engines that just gave up, some with very poor build quality, some excellent
Ford…fix or repair daily/fix or return Dagenham oil leaks, rust, panel fit, trims falling apart
Jeep, great car does exactly what it says on the tin, old ones rust and new ones have built in Fiat foibles, won’t do anything extra than going over rough stuff, (unless you bought a 2wd version or the insane srt) so don’t expect it to because it will bite you
Land Rover…where do I start..everything goes wrong with them, designed, ‘improved’ and driven by masochists even to this day, and I’ve had 3 and a RR
PSA often thought of as the the French Fiat in terms of build quality, dodgy electrics and ‘eccentric’ (see Lancia) but actually, no worse than anybody else at the time, 80’s to 2000, most electrical, like Fiat, we’re poor earths or connectors that were easily fixed, and can you honestly state that they deteriorated any quicker than your BL/Rover/Ford/Vauxhall etc etc…having said all that, haven’t cars got bloody boring, not much to choose between them and, are they trying to outdo each other on the ‘ugly stakes’
At the moment the only ‘ordinary’ current cars I like is the panda 4x4 and that’s way past renewal, the 500 Abarth and the Mitsubishi evo, and you can’t get Mitsubishi in this country anymore

Last edited:
To be honest, about all cars, and my particular bias, I’ve worked in Italian, German, Japanese, French, American and British (only LR) and they have all had their weekspots, BMWs with rusty rear 3/4s and early electronics issues
VWs whose build quality really DIDNT justify the price, especially the cheaper ones (so buy a seat or Skoda) and, although exterior door and seat trims looked good, you needed chain mail to work on them…as for auto boxes, changed like normal cars go through brake pads
Mazda, as above, gearboxes that locked, engines that just gave up, some with very poor build quality, some excellent
Ford…fix or repair daily/fix or return Dagenham oil leaks, rust, panel fit, trims falling apart
Jeep, great car does exactly what it says on the tin, old ones rust and new ones have built in Fiat foibles, won’t do anything extra than going over rough stuff, (unless you bought a 2wd version or the insane srt) so don’t expect it to because it will bite you
Land Rover…where do I start..everything goes wrong with them, designed, ‘improved’ and driven by masochists even to this day, and I’ve had 3 and a RR
PSA often thought of as the the French Fiat in terms of build quality, dodgy electrics and ‘eccentric’ (see Lancia) but actually, no worse than anybody else at the time, 80’s to 2000, most electrical, like Fiat, we’re poor earths or connectors that were easily fixed, and can you honestly state that they deteriorated any quicker than your BL/Rover/Ford/Vauxhall etc etc
The Mazda 323 RWD had just come out when I was leaving as I recall, from then on manufacturers squeezing everything in the front, it all became longer to do simple jobs.
Mind you we used to moan about fitting water pumps and by hoses on minis, so never happy:)

The Mazda 323 RWD had just come out when I was leaving as I recall, from then on manufacturers squeezing everything in the front, it all became longer to do simple jobs.
Mind you we used to moan about fitting water pumps and by hoses on minis, so never happy:)
That’s the price of being on the spanners, having to work on stuff and get your hands dirty, the plus side was, I only ever paid for parts, and they were always at cost or discounted

Back