General Fuel cap strap (not flap)

Currently reading:
General Fuel cap strap (not flap)

The rubber strap on my fuel cap has snapped off...

I only ever hung the cap from the flap, rather than letting it dangle on the strap but the Grim Reaper has had one hand on my old beast for a while now and this is just one more original part that wore out.

New straps seem to only come with a new cap, which I don't need (no problems with sealing and anyway it's a locking cap which I don't want a different key for).

Has anyone found an aftermarket solution that will fit, or fixed this in a different way?

Ralf S.

The rubber strap on my fuel cap has snapped off...

I only ever hung the cap from the flap, rather than letting it dangle on the strap but the Grim Reaper has had one hand on my old beast for a while now and this is just one more original part that wore out.

New straps seem to only come with a new cap, which I don't need (no problems with sealing and anyway it's a locking cap which I don't want a different key for).

Has anyone found an aftermarket solution that will fit, or fixed this in a different way?

Ralf S.

I was using two cable ties on my punto cap. Worked well.

Same thing's happened to mine - the rubber in the strap seems to go brittle. I'm thinking of just removing it as, like you Ralf, I hang the cap from the hook on the flap when filling up - so the strap performs no useful function anyway...

Good find! The locking one (or at least with the hole in it for the lock) looks almost worth it, just for the strap... :D

Currently, having survived the annual dice with Doctor Death the MOT man, I'm saving up for a bigger car seat for Junior S. so it would be a bit extravagent... a cable tie and super glue lash-up will have to do for the time being. :D

Ralf S.

Im currently using a black steel wire as replacement, its think and durable, and looks neat

Back