Technical Front strut top mounts

Currently reading:
Technical Front strut top mounts

When the front axle is lifted and both struts drop, I put a bar under the tyre and both struts have a lot of lift. Normally this is a sign of top mount bush compression and can generate a noise over rough ground. Is this normal for this car? 2013 S2 1.3 JTD

Mine makes no noise so it's worth having a look.

Has it had any work done on the struts? I had a horrible rattle on one car which turned out to be a bodged strut fitting so the bearing was loose on the piston rod. No harm done thankfully but it had to be pulled apart to sort it.

New mounts and bearings will set you back £30. Daylight robbery if you ask me. ;)

No noise Dave. I noticed it drop when checking the brake pads. I stuck a bar under the tyre and there was about 40mm of lift...on both sides. The top mount is on an elongated slot and both mounts sit to the rear. No free movement. I wanted someone to confirm that this is normal.

They are not held in at all. The large washer on top stops them falling out. Some MOT testers struggle with the concept.

Can't find a measurement for the amount of drop, but shouldn't worry unless you can find movement when the vehicle sits on its wheels, or the top washers appear quite high.

Noises over bumps are much more likely to be the anti-roll bar links. They'll rattle even when you can't feel the play in them. And they're cheap and very quick to replace.

I can see MOT testers getting apoplectic! LOL!

Not if they're competent and have read the MOT testers manual.

See the notes on the right hand side of the attached page.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    65.5 KB · Views: 83
Thanks for that portland_bill. Puts my mind at rest. If there has been lift on the top mount I've always changed it in the past. I can see MOT testers getting apoplectic! LOL!

When we had our 100HP, it received an advisory on this at its first MOT at 10000 miles. My explanation to the MOT tester that this was not 'wear' received the same bemused look last seen on Nigel Tufnell when asked "Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?".

They are not held in at all. The large washer on top stops them falling out. Some MOT testers struggle with the concept.

Can't find a measurement for the amount of drop, but shouldn't worry unless you can find movement when the vehicle sits on its wheels, or the top washers appear quite high.

Noises over bumps are much more likely to be the anti-roll bar links. They'll rattle even when you can't feel the play in them. And they're cheap and very quick to replace.

Agreed. It's the weight of the car that keeps them in place. There a small gap the top hat washer and strut mount.

I was worried with the fit but after checking another car they don't sit perfectly in the centre of the strut mount.

Back