Technical Front right brake caliper appears to stick

Currently reading:
Technical Front right brake caliper appears to stick

My near rearside was the one that caused all the problems. All fine now though (hopefully).

A bit off-topic, but relevant - I bought my last ever set of rear brake pads in my lifetime, from Halfords (previously Nationwide). Their brakes4life offer sounds far too good to be true, but it really is worth having...

http://www.halfordsautocentres.com/...riceMOT_offers&cm_re=Hero-_-Main-_-view_offer

I'm naturally suspicious about offers, but I can't find the catch. It has echoes of the Hoover free flights - the sort of thing that could bankrupt them. The only "catch" is that it will also need disks too now and then, but their prices aren't any different to anywhere else. Plus it's not even a condition that they change the disks anyway.

Back again from the carage. They found out that problem might be SERVO! Servo really "leaked" some pressure to the braking system. When they disconnected Servo from the main cylinder, brakes released!
But they are not 100% sure.

I'm just waiting price for the new Servo unit and exchange. Operation may be done with next annual service. Now 171k km and next full service is @ 180k km. It will take month or two...

I will return after that.

-Alr

Did your garage strip down the offending brake/caliper assembly?

Yesterday I had a binding brake on our Barchetta and it was no more than built up corrosion on the caliper carrier assembly and the brake pad metal backing/carrying plate.

Good scrape with a knife, wire brush and a little moly lube solved the problem first time around.

Often the simplest and most obvious possible causes get missed / neglected.

As this subject was on the boil again I thought I would have another look at my Croma and look for a cause. I had checked the master cylinder push rod clearance in the past but I had another look. No fault found.
I had read in the IMI magazine about the operation of the Brake Control Valve.
The old ABS valve does a lot more now hence the name change. As our problem effects RHS front and LHS rear and with the knowledge of the BCV I thought what about a bad contact in the electrical connection. I disconnected it and found it to be nice and clean so refitted it. BUT my brakes are now as they should be. No drag on the RHS front. Brake and the car rolls to a stop and with the pedal released it will move forward or backward depending on the road surface. It has been like this for four days now.
I hope this helps other owners with this problem.

Granvilleb, can you explain what connector you disconnected and reconnected? And where it actually exists? Interesting thing if bad connection causes this annoying problem.

I also found out little more about this annoying problem. One of my friend has Saab 9-3 with the same floorpan as the Croma (Opel Vectra or GM Epsilon) and he have actually same problem. Car is not rolling when stopping on traffic lights, but when you push the pedal hard again while car stopped, the brakes may be released and car rolls depending on surface..

And some other Opel Vectra drivers have had this problem too...

CromaF you will find the Brake Control Valve between the battery and the bulkhead. If you remove the battery cover you will get a better look at it. Pul the front of the connector and it will disconnect itself by moving upwards.

Im having the same problems with sticking brakes. Thing is in just 1000km I have changed front disc 2 time. Overheating issue on RHS disc (bluish disc) and vibrations. Temp. on LFS disc 21degC and RHS 29degC. First set was Zimmermann and now Im on ATF and problem is here again. Fiat service team did all the test and everything is OK. Yeah right. :rolleyes:

Back