General Comparing Croma to Tipo Estate

Currently reading:
General Comparing Croma to Tipo Estate

Comparing Croma to Tipo Estate (comparing two manual 6 speed turbo MultiJet diesel 16V Fiat cars).

With the ULEZ (Ultra Low Emission Zone) expansion looming; after 10 years and 100,000 miles of Croma ownership; I traded the Croma in for a Tipo Estate.

So I’m comparing a
2005 136,000 miles Croma 1.9 JTD MultiJet 150bhp Eleganza
with a
2017 38,000 miles Tipo Estate 1.6 MultiJet II 120bhp Lounge.

Croma features
Less noisy inside
More space for occupants, the Croma is easier to get in and out of
Brakes feel stronger

Height adjustable front passenger seat
Place above driver’s door to keep sunglasses:cool:
Compartment to chill water bottles under front armrest:cool:
Rear seat armrest

Radio traffic information via interrupts
CD player
12V socket inside rear passenger area
Keys that open windows

Tipo Estate features
Feels better planted on the road, with a less wallowing ride, handles better

ULEZ Compliance
Better diesel consumption (45 mpg is better than 35 mpg)
Zero road tax

Nicer steering wheel
Satellite Navigation system with speed camera notification:)
Reversing camera:)
DAB radio
Dusk and Rain Sensors (Automatic Headlights and Wipers)
Cup holders

Road tax is zero if the Tipo was registered before April 2017, road tax is £145 a year for cars registered in April 2017 or after.

And this begs questions for the future.

Low Emissions at/on year X then no road
Move goal post

Hybrid EV on years X and Y then no road tax
Move goal post

All EV on years X Y and Z then no road tax
Move goal post

We can't win this game.

Pre Hybrid/EV people were saying that the due tax should be based on miles travelled/fuel used. This equation would make people pay for road wear and pollution. A fair treatment for all?

I guess in a few years time when EV is predominant in the market then it might be you get zero rated till 1st MOT and then annually taxed on owning a vehicle (registration fee) and then on mileage travelled?

On a different EV tack

I wonder if the current M27 Smart Motorway still being built (near finishing) will have EV charge points in the safety pull off areas. You know what will happen. Driving home as normal to charge up over night. Normally enough charge to get home OK, then cold, rain, fog etc. puts that extra load and oops next junction out of range, can I make the next refuge (2/3rd plus miles)? Think so, what about the next junction 5 or 10 miles up the road. Still looking good let's press on. Oooops vehicle stops in active lane!

If there are no EV charge point in recovery bays then driver's will push their luck to avoid calling out their recovery company. The difference being a safety issue that could be avoided unlike a real (random?) vehicle breakdown.

I think I'll apply for a job at the Highways Agency because I don't think they have thought of this and Smart Motorways are already under heavy criticism regarding safety.

A while back.. ( John Major? )

Uk gov. Put a hike in fuel duty to cover a phasing out of VED.. It sort of worked years later
My FIATs : 2 x £O and 3 x£30
The 156ts hit £220 @10 years ago :eek:

Realistcally the battery mileage is no worse than 'running on fumes' to avoid paying £1.60 a litre at the services..

However there isnt an easy equivalent to a 'gallon can' ;)

Indeed as i said in my edit, I did not notice at first that it was an early Tipo.
I always look at this sort of thing. My 1.9 mJTD Croma was LEZ compliant, based on actual emissions but if you went just by year of registration you would not expect that. My current car, a 2016 MY Outlander PHEV also falls in the pre-April 2017 zero tax bracket :)

Robert G8RPI.

Back