Technical Front fog lights

Currently reading:
Technical Front fog lights

I doubt many of you youngsters even know what real fog is like & just jump to switch on the fogs at the first glimpse of even a whisp of fog so you feel justified driving with them on ,lol
Anyone old enough here in UK to remember the pre clean air act days? You've heard the often misused expression ' I couldn't see my hand in front of me' well believe me in the 1950's when I was a child it actually got like that & all the buses used to have their conductor walk just in front trying to spot where the kerbside was at 5mph ! Lorry drivers mostly had a mate in those days & they had to do the same or alternatively abandon the vehicle,
The smog as it was called was a combination of pollution & smoke from more or less every house & factory combined with actual atmospheric fog the effect was choking

I can imagine. I've only lived in the UK for a bit over 2 years but I've seen soem quite bad smog and I only live in a lightly populated area of North Wales! But I can imagine it must have been a lot worse in the day. My car doesn't have fog lights and I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything. I think if I bought a new car I'd spec them purely for looks if they were a cheap option but other than that I'm not bothered.

Back